crested gecko + millipede = ?

B

blackbat67

i am seriously thinking bout gettin a crestie or two...

i also like the idea of a millipede...a giant african or sommut?

i've heard they eat crestie waste and what not, and the cresties dont mind em being there?

what are all your experiences with this 'combo'?

if you use it, plz post pics lol!

thanx in advance for ur help/advise!!

Halley

I can’t tell you I would know much about either of those animals. I would just make sure that the crested gecko wouldn’t eat them (I think they are too big though) Then just check and make sure the housing requirements are the same (humidity, temp, etc.) because for me mixing species of reptiles is no different than mixing species of fish in a tropical fish tank. As long as everybody can get along, and they are all healthy, why not?

moosassah

The theory behind it is to make a self cleaning environment when you have a living set up. I do have the giants in with my male. Much of their time is spent coiled up or burried in the mixture of sphagnum moss, orchid bark & soil. I do see them at the CGD dish now & then. Ferrous has noticed them, but could care less that they exists. His cage pic is in my gallery.

Aliza uses potato bugs (aka rollie pollies) in her cage. I'm sure she'll pop on with her 2 cents too.

Bodon

Thats pretty interesting, are they those huge black ones you see at the reptile shows?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't know much about millipedes, but I have a friend whose cuban knight anole is dead because it tried to eat it. I use roly poly bugs that I get from outside (never had a problem yet in 4 tanks).

Aliza

Lunar Gecko

It says is in the Rhac bible that its fine...I have been mixing them for a long time now. There have been no issues. I also know of about 7-8 other breeders who do this as well. The G.A. Millis are great for the tank and much to big for a crested to think of as food. They eat the CGD and gecko poop and also help mix the soil in natural vivs.

Here are some pictures. =)
100_1167.jpg

100_1155.jpg

B

blackbat67

yeah on another forum somewhere (can't remember whih lol) someone else was askin if hese two animals could be mixed, and they posted a quote from the book 'RACHODACTYLUS' which says is okay..

B

blackbat67

yeah i think i'll do this (if and when i get a crestie!)

what should i use as substrate, and how deep?
is there anything special i need to do for the millis?

d'ya reckon 1 crestie and 1 milli wouldbe okay in an exo-terra tank; how big?

thanks for ur answers btw!!

moosassah

My set up is the 18x18x24 exo. Lava rock at the bottom, pvc sleeve covering the lava rock. Sphagnum moss, orchid bark & soil for about 3-4". 2 milli, 1 crestie.

Visit our friends