Crestie Question

crestedgeckosss12

Hi!
Will cork logs/grapevine logs get moldy when being in my future crested gecko cage? I am obviously going to mist it frequently, possibly get an automatic one. I’m just concerned with that humidity things might mold.

unrelated, but is this a good size tank? I could get the 18x18x24 if it is, it’s just really expensive. I’m willing to spend money on this, though.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Misting once a day (in the evening) is enough. My wood does not get moldy. I have found that the 12x12x18 is too small for an adult crested gecko, so I'd go with the 18x18x24 or else the 18x18x18. Often they're available on Craigslist for less money.

Aliza

crestedgeckosss12

Misting once a day (in the evening) is enough. My wood does not get moldy. I have found that the 12x12x18 is too small for an adult crested gecko, so I'd go with the 18x18x24 or else the 18x18x18. Often they're available on Craigslist for less money.

Aliza
Okay, thanks. I’ll get the 18x18x24!

crestedgeckosss12

Aliza
another unrelated question. I’m going to be feeding Pangea, is it a requirement to feed live bugs? My family isn’t very keen on them, and I’ve heard that it’s ok to just feed Pangea (or other brands). Do you recommend this? Sorry for asking you all this, but it seems your very active on this forum. Do crested geckos need moist/shedding hides in their tank? Or is it already moist enough from being misted regularly?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Pangea: get the pangea that comes with insects (powdered and mixed into the contents) to insure enough protein for the gecko. In some ways it's a shame because most cresties love their bugs. See if your family will tolerate you getting 4-5 crickets from the pet store every week or every other week and releasing them directly into the enclosure so you're not storing crickets in the house. It's ok if the gecko doesn't eat them immediately.

Humidity: Since you'll be misting the enclosure regularly you don't need a humid hide. You could put a hide at ground level since sometimes they do like to be in there on the ground.
Feel free to ask as much as you want. I and other people will respond as best as we can.

Aliza

Elisha9

Aliza
Once isn’t enough, we must 2-3 times and when hotter they get more as dries up quick.

Elisha9

another unrelated question. I’m going to be feeding Pangea, is it a requirement to feed live bugs? My family isn’t very keen on them, and I’ve heard that it’s ok to just feed Pangea (or other brands). Do you recommend this? Sorry for asking you all this, but it seems your very active on this forum. Do crested geckos need moist/shedding hides in their tank? Or is it already moist enough from being misted regularly?
Yes ideally crickets need to be fed 2/3 times a week as part of a healthy diet!

Elisha9

It's ok if the gecko doesn't eat them immediately.
Again not always. Some bite cresties if not eaten so I’d make sure Crestie does eat them first by only putting a couple in. As some won’t touch them and are fussy on bugs and then you notice bites and then you’ll have to try catching them to remove

Visit our friends