Crezztie wont stick? =[

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
Hey everyone, i've recently purchased my first crestie this past month and i have a situation. My Crested gecko is approx 2 years old, weighing in at 34Grams tailless. He is indeed a male =] but has a problem with his feet. I purchased him at a cheap price and maybe this is why? He's a healthy eater on a diet i've recieved from another breeder, mixing the CGCD,smoothie,and crickets. I've takken a good look at his feet and they are a little rough, i've tried to soak his feet for 5 mins, not accomplishing much. I've deffidently set up his tank so he is still able to climb, but he's unable to do it like any other aboreal =[.

I'll have a pic posted by the end of the week but if anyone has any experience's like mine, help!:(

WulfSC

The only problem I've ever had with a crested gecko not being able to climb was due to it having CGD dried on its feet. I gave it a nice warm (about the same warmth as a baby bottle) and place it in for 15 minutes or so. Of course, I kept a very close eye on it while in the soak. However, if that doesn't work...than, I'm not too sure.

I'd really like to know if you find out something, that way I can be informed in the future if I should ever encounter such a problem.

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
thanks for the reply john, and i think i have a small follow up.
I was at teh expo this past weekend and a breeder had told me to purchase the reptile shedding aide by ZooMed. this stuff doesnt effect their eyes (although not to directly spray into ) but i did this while he was having his feet soak, and yesterday his front two hands are catching a little more. I think i had a problem with the skin still on the feet aswell as some Diet. it's deffidently not perfect but its alot better.

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
The first picture is him the day i took him home, that tank was used for maybe 2 hours.

The second pic is about one week after having him, this is spike fired up

Last edited:

WulfSC

Cool, I like the name Spike. It reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Haha. Would he be considered a Dalmation?

Daedric1

Usually, a "loss of stickiness" problem is related to humidity, as long as there is no stuck shed or food on the feet. I would think soaking him would have helped, though. Either way, try checking on him maybe 30mins - 1 hour after misting the cage at night; you might have better luck.

Is he able to climb his plants well, or just not able to stick to your skin or glass? I find that cresties sometimes have trouble just sticking onto skin, especially if you have hair.

Glass can be particularly hard to stick to if it has water spots, dust, or other residue on it. Cleaning/scrubbing the glass during a tank clean usually results in my cresties being up and climbing the glass again, later that night lol.

Some cresties also have longer toenails/claws than others, and are able to hold onto plants and hands, etc better. My 3 year old male has short nails and has more trouble holding onto certain things (like skin) than my others - he does just fine on glass, though. So if your gecko is having trouble with all surfaces, that could be part of it, too.

Good luck!

Visit our friends