Crickets

Snginsburg

As our world changes daily due to Cobid-19, and more places are being closed, I’m worried about how I will be able to be able to feed my leopard geckos. They eat crickets. The crickets I buy from the pet stores stay alive for about two weeks or I run out before that. Does anyone have any suggestions? The thought of them starving to death is not something I can handle. I was going to buy mealworms since they can live longer by staying in the fridge, but my one gecko will only eat crickets. I must also preface that they all only eat live bugs. They leave dead crickets alone in their tank. Any advice is appreciated.

LoveReps

Most geckos normally do not eat anything that doesn't catch their attention or move, so this is completely normal for your gecko. Mealworms don't move often, so here's a good way to get them moving. When you are ready to feed, make sure you let the mealworms sit outside the fridge until they reach room temperature. Once they warm up they will begin moving. Take a pair of tongs and grab one end of the mealworm and pinch, not too hard though. They should begin going crazy and it should grab your geckos attention. I had a picky eater that didn't like mealworms (or couldn't see them rather) unless they were very active. Also, if you are afraid to run out of food, there's plenty of places online where you can buy your feeders. I get my mealworms from amazon. You can get a thousand of them for around $15. You can also buy crickets in bulk there as well along with anywhere else that sells feeders.

Last edited:

Snginsburg

Thanks for the information. I looked into using Amazon before but found bad reviews. I was afraid to buy some and them all arrive dead. I’m going to attempt it because 1000 crickets would be great.

LoveReps

I can give you the link to the mealworms I buy if you want it. They always come in perfectly healthy. I usually get maybe 2 or 3 dead out of the bunch but just shy of a thousand still gets me pretty far with all my geckos and my chameleon. I don't normally purchase crickets online because I have a supplier in town but I hope you find a good seller online. How do you feed and water your crickets?

Snginsburg

I would be so grateful for the link. As for the crickets I use a powder meal type thing that another reptile owner suggested. I also buy the gel crystal like water for them. Both their food and water I buy on Amazon from Josh’s Frogs.

LoveReps

Sometimes crickets dont recognize the powder as food. A good way to get them to eat is to mix in some tropical fish flakes. I would suggest adding some veggies and greens to the diet just as a definite way to make sure they are eating good. Here is the link to the mealworms I get.

AndyBunn

Hi I don't know what it's like where you are but here petshops are remaining open to sell food supplies. Contact your local pet stores to find out

Jacobsherps

i bought a surplus of freeze dried insects just be carfull because mice love them so if you have that problem

LoveReps

Hi I don't know what it's like where you are but here petshops are remaining open to sell food supplies. Contact your local pet stores to find out

You are correct, but we dont know how long they will be open. They may not even close. This is a suggestion for just in case :)

Onelifegecs

I bought got 4,000 crickets from Armstrong cricket farm. They have too many so I payed $10 for 500 and they gave me well over that. I went to their farm in Glennville Georgia but they do sell online if you want to look into that.

AndyBunn

I bought got 4,000 crickets from Armstrong cricket farm. They have too many so I payed $10 for 500 and they gave me well over that. I went to their farm in Glennville Georgia but they do sell online if you want to look into that.
Thats a bargain!

Margi San Diego

As our world changes daily due to Cobid-19, and more places are being closed, I’m worried about how I will be able to be able to feed my leopard geckos. They eat crickets. The crickets I buy from the pet stores stay alive for about two weeks or I run out before that. Does anyone have any suggestions? The thought of them starving to death is not something I can handle. I was going to buy mealworms since they can live longer by staying in the fridge, but my one gecko will only eat crickets. I must also preface that they all only eat live bugs. They leave dead crickets alone in their tank. Any advice is appreciated.
If you can persuade your geckos to eat mealworms, they are easy to raise and not as stinky as crickets.

Visit our friends