cross breeding sub species of leopard geckos

TOMMY1013

I have been researching whether are not sub species can be breed in bloodlines to normal leopard geckos. I could only find a few examples. Can Eublepharis macularius be breed with Eublepharis hardwickii?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I highly doubt it. I've kept both. The hardwickii look very different and need a different (more humid) environment. Also, you're not talking about sub-species here, you're talking about different species. Eublepharis is the genus and macularius/hardwickii are the species. That said, there have been successful hybridization across species and even across genera in some cases. There has certainly been plenty of breeding true subspecies of E. macularius to the point where most common leopard geckos are probably a mix of these sub-species and the exciting thing these days is to breed "pure" subspecies without crossing. Here's a Gecko Time article about hybridizing crested geckos and chahouas which, ever since crested geckos were re-classified in a different genus, is an example of hybridizing across genera:

Aliza

Edwin4791

I highly doubt it. I've kept both. The hardwickii look very different and need a different (more humid) environment. Also, you're not talking about sub-species here, you're talking about different species. Eublepharis is the genus and macularius/hardwickii are the species. That said, there have been successful hybridization across species and even across genera in some cases. There has certainly been plenty of breeding true subspecies of E. macularius to the point where most common leopard geckos are probably a mix of these sub-species and the exciting thing these days is to breed "pure" subspecies without crossing. Here's a Gecko Time article about hybridizing crested geckos and chahouas which, ever since crested geckos were re-classified in a different genus, is an example of hybridizing across genera:

Aliza
You give another examples, not for eublepharis.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, the article wasn't written about Eublepharis, but I was giving an example for my statement that "there have been successful hybridization across species and even across genera in some cases"

Aliza

Visit our friends