Daily Activity

CinTob

Hello Again!

So... Again, my male and female Day Geckos are healthy (I believe). They eat, shed, are growing, have a very nice home, etc. My concern today... I don't know what "normal" behavior looks like. They are approx. 9 months old. The female rarely leaves the front of the glass. She sleeps there every night. The male sleeps in a bit of a hide, but he's on the glass and you can see him. The lights come on at 8:00, and the sun is up, and so they have that light as well. They generally don't start moving about until 11:00 or so. The male can be seen many places throughout the day, the female generally can be found on the same spot on the front glass most of the day. I feed them crickets three days a week. They used to both "hunt" them. Now, mainly I see the male get excited. I don't even know if the female is getting any of them. (The viv is full of plants, leaf litter, etc., so once the crickets go in, I usually don't see them again.) So, again, I don't know what is normal, but it'd be nice to see the female more active. I've tried to feed the female, and have done so in the past, but for weeks she immediately hides if I offer her food. They're both fairly skittish. I've never handled them. Thoughts?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think the best thing you can do is to watch the female to insure that she's not visibly losing weight. I've had a female gold dust day gecko for the last 4 years and since I'm home more of the day I can see that she spends a lot of time in her bamboo tube, some time basking, and some time zipping around the cage. I have never seen her eat, but the cage is not full of crickets and the CGD does look as if some is missing. She is a good size and that hasn't changed, which is what I base my feeling on that she is well and healthy.

Aliza

CinTob

I think the best thing you can do is to watch the female to insure that she's not visibly losing weight. I've had a female gold dust day gecko for the last 4 years and since I'm home more of the day I can see that she spends a lot of time in her bamboo tube, some time basking, and some time zipping around the cage. I have never seen her eat, but the cage is not full of crickets and the CGD does look as if some is missing. She is a good size and that hasn't changed, which is what I base my feeling on that she is well and healthy.

Aliza
Thanks. She definitely continues to grow. She just seems so bored. Lol. The first pic is the female -- second is the male. She's not smaller than he.

Attachments

• Female.jpg
    Female.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 1
  • Male.jpg
    Male.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They can be very lazy. I think sometimes that my geckos are bored and then I realize that they probably don't have the same kind of existential crises that I do . . .

Aliza

Visit our friends