De-sensitizing.

E

Ed O

Can/do geckos become de-sensiztized, in respect to temperature, tameness, and such?
I know that by obtaining captive raised corals(for my sw tank), placing them in specififc conditions, letting them adapt, then selling off pieces to new hobbyists, they will slowly, over time, become de-sensitized to natural sea water parameters and fluctuations.
Does the same hold true for leos?
In effect, can we breed the "wildness" out of them? Allowing us to keep them in less than ideal conditions for long periods of time?

Leopardbreeder

Well, leos are very though, not that you should put them through anymore stress than necessary. But, corals do not have a brain or nervous system, this means they don't really feel the cold, they just die from bad climate and not being able to grow. Leopard geckos will slowly and painfully die from the stresses of the bad conditions. So to answer your question, no it should not be exposed/ cannot adapt to different climates. Not to say that over the period of 100 years it couldn't.

yellermelon

Rockin the Suburbs
I believe they would still become very stressed and refuse food more often than not. Thus causing death. Keep in mind leos have been bred in captivity for many years...Im sure most of the "wild" that is gonna be bred out has been bred out.

G

Gecko

Actually, I think Leopard Geckos in captivity are probably fairly different from the wild animals with regards to behavior.

I don't think it's possible to really change prefered tempertures, etc. in an animal though.

Visit our friends