Death rate in shipping?

S

SweetnSpicy

I want to know what is the average death rate for shipping leopard geckos before I order one that needs to be shipped. I would hate to open a box and find him/her dead :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't know if there is any way to find out that information. However, you could ask the person you're buying from, once you choose one, what his or her experience has been. In general, if the gecko is packed correctly and is shipped "next day air" through a reputable shipper (though not perfect, UPS and FedEx seem to be the most consistent; USPS has not come through for me and I have heard some unfortunate things about DHL) and the temperatures are not overly hot or cold (a responsible breeder understands about waiting till the temperatures are OK before shipping), then there is an excellent chance that your gecko will arrive safely.

Alternatively, depending on where you live, you can contact a local breeder or go to a reptile show.

Aliza

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I've only lost one gecko to shipping and that's because the package got mishandled and was in low temps for 3 days. Every other one I've shipped has been fine. As long as the seller knows how to ship and checks temps, there should be no problems.

S

SweetnSpicy

Okay, thanks! I've used FedEx, USPS, and UPS for shipping Betta Fish, another small hobby of mine, and USPS was always late, and they had a hard time finding my packages.

From what I've heard about BigAppleHerp(the seller) they are supposed to be really nice, have good quality animals, and fast shipping. I tried to find local breeders, but none are in my area. I had to beg my dad agree on taking me to the upcoming Repticon in Charlotte, an 1hr and a half drive, so driving even farther to a breeders house to pick one up was out of the question.

Thanks so much! I feel better about having a gecko shipped in!

Visit our friends