Decorative background starving our Sikoraes?

syntheticreality

Newbie gecko addict
This may seem like an odd question, but I recently built a fancy decorative background into Jill's Sikoraes' enclosure out of driftwood, expanding foam, and coco fiber.

Since then, it seems like far fewer crickets get eaten. It's frustrating that I put so much time and money into the project, but it really seems like it keeps the Sikoraes from eating crickets because they are always climbing to the top of the back wall. If I have to, I'll remove it.

During construction I had them each housed in 10 gallon tanks inverted for height. This was a VERY TEMPORARY setup, but they seemed to eat very voraciously and put on some nice weight during that time. Do Sikoraes generally only dive on their prey from above? Would they be reluctant to tackle crickets on the back wall or jump for those above them?

Please anyone with any relative experience or insight feel free to comment/make suggestions.

MonteQ's

I've never made a background, but do use the ones from the Exos. I do find that alot of crickets sneak up to the top and hide between the top of the background and the bottom of the screen. Can't speak for Sikoraes, but some of the Phants will eat them right off the wall. I've even seen them grab them off the screen on the ceiling lol...It's like a scene right out of "Cliffhanger" or something! fun stuff!

If you just put them back in the new tank, I wouldn't see it as a problem. It'll usually take a minute for them to settle in and find good hunting spots. If you notice a gradual weight loss, over a couple weeks, then it may be time to reconsider. You could also opt to use the 10s as a feeding enclosure, though it may stress the geckos a bit. Hope this helps.

G

Gecko

Some geckos do have a definate preference for lunging from above.

Lunar Gecko

When I make my background I shave off the excess/cave like areas. This way there is no place for crickets to hide before I do the silicone. Seem to work out well and I have not noticed any issues with my leaftails.

Visit our friends