Defects not able to be bred out

Would you breed a morph that had a defect gene that could not be removed?

• Yes, I would breed a morph with a defect gene that could not be removed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I would breed a morph with a defect gene that could not be removed as long as it isn't life thr

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • No, I would not breed a morph with a defect gene that cannot be removed.

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

BettaDragon

After looking at some of the topics about enigmas, a question popped into my mind. I know the problems with enigmas can be bred out of them but I wondered what would happen if they weren't able to be bred out. This topic is not really about enigmas though so I hope no fighting will break out. The enigmas made me think of a problem I had while I was in the betta breeding hobby. There is a strain of betta called a melano. The problem with this strain was the females in it. Their eggs would fall apart soon after being fertilized. This problem proved to be impossible to breed out of the strain. The strain is still continued by breeding the males to non melano females. If geckos had a defect like this that could not be bred out of the morph, would we continue breeding the morph at all. I am on the fence on this topic and I honestly have no clue what I would answer. That is why I ask you guys.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I suppose it would depend on what you consider a 'defect'. There are many people that believe albinism is a genetic defect!

So far, in the 13 years I have been working with geckos, I have seen literally ALL of the 'undesirable' traits get corrected. We have some of the BEST, ethical, and genetics savvy breeders right here on this forum.

BettaDragon

Golden Gate Geckos said:
I suppose it would depend on what you consider a 'defect'. There are many people that believe albinism is a genetic defect!

So far, in the 13 years I have been working with geckos, I have seen literally ALL of the 'undesirable' traits get corrected. We have some of the BEST, ethical, and genetics savvy breeders right here on this forum.
Oh I know!:D You guys are all awesome! The question just popped into my mind randomly and I wondered what you guys thought if something like that ever popped up in a new morph.

Halley

I’d have to go with Marcia; it would depend on what you labeled a “defect”, and how much it impaired the gecko’s way of being.

HepCatMoe

Escaped A.I.
for me it depends. females betas with eggs falling apart? sucky, but to me not a big deal.

now if the defect caused the animal to be in pain, or unable to live a content life, like if its legs didnt work, then definately it should not be bred.

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
I would never intentionally breed any animal with any defects; that having been said, in order to try and get rid of undesirable defects/traits someone has to conduct some sort of breeding project. You could consider that person a bad guy for purposely breeding knowing of the defect, or you could consider that person a hero of sorts for trying to outbreed the defect and solve the problem. Some people consider everything we do with Leos (keeping them and breeding them for traits that we have in some ways forced) to be unethical. You can never make everyone happy. As far as Enigmas go, I'm confortable with my belief that their problems can be and is being outbred with success. If a defect proved to be irremovable, then no, I would not breed such animals.

Last edited:

Visit our friends