Dented eggs after 1 week

Josh P.

Two eggs incubating inside a GEO are dented after only a week of incubation. I have added more water to the perlite inside the GEO, would that be ok to save them or should I remove the plastic support of the GEO and bury them completely in the perlite for a week for even higher humidity?
What's the best chance to save them?

Music City Geckos

Leave them just as they are. If they are fertile maybe there isn't enough moisture which will cause denting. Are they with other eggs? If they are I would move them to their own container in case they start to mold. The hardest thing I had to learn in breeding leopard geckos is, the more you mess with the eggs, the higher probability of them failing. What is your water to medium ratio?

Josh P.

Leave them just as they are. If they are fertile maybe there isn't enough moisture which will cause denting. Are they with other eggs? If they are I would move them to their own container in case they start to mold. The hardest thing I had to learn in breeding leopard geckos is, the more you mess with the eggs, the higher probability of them failing. What is your water to medium ratio?

The standard water to medium ratings are used for eggs that sit in the medium while incubating not how the GEO works.

Josh P.

You should go to the yourgeckoguy.com website. He gives specific medium to water ratios for the G.E.O ( by weight). I use the G.E.O and use his instruction and haven't had any issues in 2 years. Its a great product.

Leopard Geckos For Sale - Gecko Caresheets and Breeding Information - Buy Leopard Geckos as Pets

Thank you for the help. The 5oz water he recommends is weight? Because most websites say 5oz in volume.

Also for perlite he recommends 1 cup, how much exactly is 1 cup in grams? I'm in Europe and more used to SI measures.

Shrapnailed

Thank you for the help. The 5oz water he recommends is weight? Because most websites say 5oz in volume.

Also for perlite he recommends 1 cup, how much exactly is 1 cup in grams? I'm in Europe and more used to SI measures.

There are 28 grams in an ounce, 8 ounces per cup, so 224 grams are in a cup (side note) this was the best conversion i could find)

Josh P.

What would be the best way to save the dented eggs though? One egg has a very big dent although it candles as fertile. Should I take it off the GEO and bury it deeper in moist perlite to recover it? What's the best solution?

I appreciate replies from those who have experienced these issues. Thank you.

Music City Geckos

I would just do what the website says. 5 oz of water to 1 cup of perlite and just wait it out. Also it is by volume not weight, sorry about that. Sometimes if I miss a clutch when I am collecting eggs and they sit in the moist hide for a couple days when I pull them out they are dented. I place them in the GEO's and sometimes it takes up to a week for them to get firm again. Just wait it out a few days and see. If you are incubating for males sometimes the perlite dries out quicker than if you were incubating for female. I weigh my cups once a week (without eggs) to compensate for evaporation.

Josh P.

Although what it is recommended on that website works for healthy eggs I fear if it will work to recover an already dented egg. I read in other websites to completely bury them in perlite for a full week and spray the top layer of the substrate with water to help recover them from dents but not sure if that's the best way to go.

Visit our friends