Dented eggs...

cherishedtiger

So, as my previous post stated I have started incubating AFT eggs. Right now I only have 2, but I am pretty sure one of my females will be dropping more soon.

Of the two eggs one of them looks like its partially deflated, or dented. Is this a sure sign of a bad egg or non fertilzed egg? Or does it happen and could still be good?

Here are the eggs right after I put them in the incubator, its the back egg, not sure you can really make it out on this wonderful iPhone pic.
395928_10150621847886341_617161340_11435944_1132453704_n.jpg

gixxer3420

It could be that you need more moisture in your deli cup. I incubate all my eggs in a deli cup deli cup has 4-6 small holes in the side and I use a lid on the deli cup to help keep the moisture in.

cherishedtiger

ok, I wasnt sure, luckily when I bought the cups, I grabbed lids too. I will lid and vent them tonight when I get home. Thank you for the advice!! :D its very much appreciated as this is my first time breeding geckos.

KelliH

You might want to try covering the dented eggs up with the incubation medium for a few days. Sometimes that will help them plump back up if they are not too far gone yet. Good luck!

gixxer3420

I use holes in my deli cups so I dont have to mess around opening 80-100 lids. I suggest using deli cups with holes but I know others that dont and it works for them but I stick with what works for me.

cherishedtiger

how big of holes? are you talking big enough when they hatch babies can crawl out... or just "breathing" holes? I punched small air holes into mine. Just trying to get a mental visual.

Thank you for all the help!

cherishedtiger

awesome!! thanks for the vid! That looks about the same as I got going so I think I am on the right track. Oh, I went from 2 little eggs, to now 6. So I think they are doing pretty good!

cherishedtiger

Just an update!

All of my eggs are now covered, and all the "dents" or whatever you want to call them are now gone, the eggs are nice white and plump! I have a total of 6 eggs in the incubator now. My first two are from 1/28 so since they have yet to go bad I am guessing they are fertile!
My previous eggs went black and bad within only a couple of days.
So, I think they are doing good!!
Thank you again for all the help and advice!

Visit our friends