Desert Trip '10

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
well, i finally got paid so the first thing i did was head for the desert!!!
w00t!

i've been wanting to do a rosy boa trip for awhile now, so that's where we headed. the temps had been in the 90s for about a week, the moon was just a thin sliver in the west... perfection!

the 400 mile drive to los angeles went relatively quickly, i met my friend Tom at his home and we loaded up and headed for Verbenia... which is now named something else... odd. lots more people live there now as well. there were a few other vehicles cruising for boas and at about 9pm we spotted our first boa. \o/

4615539235_5e63142665_b.jpg

what a beauty. looks to be a male and has nice weight. he's nearly perfect with a little tail nip and only one other scar i could find.

SWEETNESS!!!!!!!ONE!!!!1

didn't find anything else that evening though.

the next morning we went to the canals near the Salton Sea where herps fall in and can't escape.

4615544219_cc9ffc4e4e_b.jpg

found this under an old mattress

4615546801_f1cc8504c7_b.jpg

angry beastie (solifugid)

4616164434_dc66e79fa0_b.jpg

a Deert Iguana we rescued

4615578667_a020b5edcf_b.jpg

Corn springs glyphs

thegeckoguy23

OMG u are so lucky man to me looks like a great trip we just moved and i have not found my herping gear but i still go anyways but i HATE when i do it sometimes with out gear and my eppie pen

JaZ

The scorpion looks like its eating another scorpion... maybe its just me. That sand boa is a winner.

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
yes. desert hairy scorpions often eat other scorpions and this one is no exception.
rosy boa, not a sand boa.
:)
thanks for the replies.

taquiq: verbenia exit is now calle huygen-lerman or something like that. the maps seem to all show it as Verbenia tho. if you're coming from the los angeles area and you get to Whitewater, you've gone 1mi too far. Whitewater is a good road too. there are canals on 52st, Cleveland st, and a couple others where herps fall in and can't get out easily. once the sun comes up, they head into any little bit of shade they can find, usually old tires and plywood and cardboard...commonly found are scorps, sidewinders and gopher snakes. occasionally western diamondbacks and shovelnose snakes.

good luck and have fun!
rob

Visit our friends