Did I get a UTH too small? What size for a 20 gal long?

Latlaw

I have two 20 gal long tanks and purchased the Zoomed UTH for 10-20 gal. I've already set them up and now my concern is that I may have gotten one size too small? It does heat easily to the correct temp using a rheostat but it covers a small area of the tank and only heats that part. I made sure the warm hides are over that area. Is this going to work or should I try to peal them off and get the next size up to cover more area? sigh . .

Latlaw

That is what we use and our geckos are fine. They will hang out in the warm hide when needed.

Thank you! I was worried that there would not be enough warm area and a 20 gal long is more like a 30 gal, right? I saw someone posted that the UTH should cover 1/3 of the tank and mine does not. Would a larger one be better for keeping the air temp warm I wonder . .

kaikara

Thank you! I was worried that there would not be enough warm area and a 20 gal long is more like a 30 gal, right? I saw someone posted that the UTH should cover 1/3 of the tank and mine does not. Would a larger one be better for keeping the air temp warm I wonder . .

With a UTH you don't need to worry about air temps so much as surface temps. A larger UTH is not going to increase the air temps any more just create a larger surface area with the heat. You probably would have been better off with the medium sized on for that size tank as you are right the 20G long is more like a 30 in foot print. But a smaller UTH will not hurt anything it will just mean a smaller area of surface heat.

Latlaw

With a UTH you don't need to worry about air temps so much as surface temps. A larger UTH is not going to increase the air temps any more just create a larger surface area with the heat. You probably would have been better off with the medium sized on for that size tank as you are right the 20G long is more like a 30 in foot print. But a smaller UTH will not hurt anything it will just mean a smaller area of surface heat.

Thank you. I may end up trying to pull the UTH's off and go with the next size up. I keep my house pretty cold in the winter and it would be better to have a larger surface area of warm.

Visit our friends