Disposable syringe cleaning

Sikmike

Just got back from the vet after my gecko had not defecated in 12 days (last defecation was full of cocofiber, which is now papertowel in humid hide).

He has not eaten in 6 days but has had 9 mealworms in his system for 9 days. 14 total after the 6th day of not defecating. So the doctor did not feel any obstructions at all and said he seemed in perfect health, we had an x-ray done and were surprised.

There was no sign of food in his stomach or GI track! I keep a meticulous calendar of feedings/pooping to say the least. I scoured the cage and no signs of hidden poop. So these 14 mealworms somehow magically absorbed into him.

The doctor said he seems too bright and active to waste my money on the xray that's liquid and you see every last detail of the insides. He was a good doctor in his observations. So I'm force feeding him through plastic disposable syringes. Just gave him 2ml of mealworms dropped onto his nose. We're hoping he will produce a stool, so I'll be observing. We're humbly stumped.

MY QUESTION IS:
After you're done squeezing the juices out of the syringe, how do you get the 10-12 exoskeletons out of the tube! They're packed in so tight, has anyone any suggestions or experiences on this? It seems like it would be common sense but I'm apparently not thinking correctly. Thank you.

robin

Just got back from the vet after my gecko had not defecated in 12 days (last defecation was full of cocofiber, which is now papertowel in humid hide).

He has not eaten in 6 days but has had 9 mealworms in his system for 9 days. 14 total after the 6th day of not defecating. So the doctor did not feel any obstructions at all and said he seemed in perfect health, we had an x-ray done and were surprised.

There was no sign of food in his stomach or GI track! I keep a meticulous calendar of feedings/pooping to say the least. I scoured the cage and no signs of hidden poop. So these 14 mealworms somehow magically absorbed into him.

The doctor said he seems too bright and active to waste my money on the xray that's liquid and you see every last detail of the insides. He was a good doctor in his observations. So I'm force feeding him through plastic disposable syringes. Just gave him 2ml of mealworms dropped onto his nose. We're hoping he will produce a stool, so I'll be observing. We're humbly stumped.

MY QUESTION IS:
After you're done squeezing the juices out of the syringe, how do you get the 10-12 exoskeletons out of the tube! They're packed in so tight, has anyone any suggestions or experiences on this? It seems like it would be common sense but I'm apparently not thinking correctly. Thank you.

pull the stopper back and out of the syringe and wash it out

Sikmike

Thanks Robin I'll try that a bit. Yeah Ratman common sense just struck me and I grabbed a paperclip to push them out, although it takes awhile heh. Thank you for responses.

robin

Thanks Robin I'll try that a bit. Yeah Ratman common sense just struck me and I grabbed a paperclip to push them out, although it takes awhile heh. Thank you for responses.

also fill the syringe with hot water and flush any bits and bobs out of it. use a mild soap and water wash and then wash it with hot water again to get all the soap off.

Visit our friends