Do thermostat and heat pad wattage have to line up??

Futureboundexe

Hey! So I’m setting up a 20 gal for my baby leo before putting him in his 3.5x2.5x2.5ft enclosure once he’s older. I don’t have the gecko yet, picking him up next week. So my question is, I have a 10-20 gallon Reptitherm under tank heater, and I need a thermostat for it. The packing says it’s not necessary but I’m not a risk taker so I’m buying one anyway, my issue is the only thermostat available in my area is the exo terra on/off and it says “controls up to 100w” I’m not sure the exact wattage of the heat mat as I’m away from home rn and can’t check the packaging, but I know it’s 4-25w as that’s all that line of heat mats offer. Will this be okay? Does my thermostat wattage have to align with the mat wattage? Because that’s not really an option for me as there’s only one type of mat and thermostat sold in my area, so I’m hoping it’s not necessary.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I googled it (as you can do as well). The 10-20 gallon Reptitherm is 8watt. Is that size perhaps a little small for an enclosure that you're planning for?

Aliza

Futureboundexe

I googled it (as you can do as well). The 10-20 gallon Reptitherm is 8watt. Is that size perhaps a little small for an enclosure that you're planning for?

Aliza
The 10-20 mat is just gonna be used for his current 20gal tank. I also have the 30-40 gallon reptitherm mat for when i upgrade to the big enclosure, which is only a 4-6 inch difference from a 40gal tank. do you happen to know the answer to my original question about the stat matching the mat watts?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, if the thermostat is OK for things up to 100 watts and the reptitherm is 8 watts, you should be fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends