Do you like having a crested gecko?

Megabeth

Hi! This is my first post and I don't have any reptiles yet but I'm seriously considering getting a crested gecko. I was wondering if you like having a crested gecko, like do they make good pets, are they interesting, are they enjoyable, etc. I also have a few questions
1. how much food like Pangea or repashy do you know to feed like one scoop, two scoops etc.?
2. Can their cage be too big?
3.What are your opinions on housing 2 females together?
4. Do you prefer males or females more or are they mostly the same?
Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it!! :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I got my first crested gecko in 2006. Spencer is now 14 and doing well. Here are my answers to your questions:
1. I'm feeding Pangea to 6 crested geckos, 1 leachie, 8 gargoyles and 2 day geckos so I obviously use a lot. I think with one gecko I was using about 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon per feeding (2-3 times a week).
2. Juvenile cresties do best in a smaller enclosure. When I got Spenser I had him in a 12x12x18" enclosure and he's now in an 18x18x24" enclosure. If I was getting a tiny crested gecko now I would probably keep it in a much smaller enclosure (like a shoebox sized tub or a 12x12x12" enclosure) to make sure it could find its food.
3. I have 4 crested gecko (mother and 3 adult offspring) in a large cage. It has worked out well for the last 3 years. It's always good to have a spare enclosure prepared if you house more than 1 in the same enclosure in case there's trouble. I do have a spare enclosure and there was a time when I would have to segregate one or the other of my gargoyle geckos who were caged together, though now they have been fine together for years (though I still have that extra cage . .. . ) Recently I discovered that in a cage of 3 female leopard geckos that had been housed together for years, one was bullying another and I had to shift things around to give the one getting bullied her own space. The point is that even after years, there can be need for change.
4. I don't find any difference between males and females except that female cresties (and gargoyles) kept without a male have more of a tendency to lay eggs anyway than other species of geckos I've owned.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The juveniles tend to be very squirmy. I have found they almost always settle down when they grow up. Some of them seem absolutely terrified of being handled and these are the ones that may drop their tails if they get too upset. When Spenser was very small, I'd hold him every few days for just a few minutes and let him walk from hand to hand (gecko treadmill). I would also bring him (once he got to be an adult) into the kitchen to "keep me company" while I mixed CGD. He would walk around on the wall behind the counter. He wasn't that fast so it was never a problem.

Aliza

Visit our friends