Do you or don't you house female leopard geckos together? Why?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have housed my leopard gecko females in small groups. When I was breeding leopard geckos I would house the male with his females for the entire breeding season. I rarely had any problems. I always had a backup enclosure if there was a problem and only had to use it a few times. Currently I have 3 enclosures with more than one leopard gecko and as more space becomes available I will gradually separate them, just because I can.
Below are 2 Gecko Time articles based on a series I did called "Pros and Controversies". The first article in the pair would raise an issue and try to give both sides. Then we'd let people send in comments and run the comments n the second article.

Aliza

NearMeGeckos

I have housed my leopard gecko females in small groups. When I was breeding leopard geckos I would house the male with his females for the entire breeding season. I rarely had any problems. I always had a backup enclosure if there was a problem and only had to use it a few times. Currently I have 3 enclosures with more than one leopard gecko and as more space becomes available I will gradually separate them, just because I can.
Below are 2 Gecko Time articles based on a series I did called "Pros and Controversies". The first article in the pair would raise an issue and try to give both sides. Then we'd let people send in comments and run the comments n the second article.

Aliza
Thank you

Hlynn2224

I currently house 2 females together. I made sure they have 6 hiding spots, a large bowl for water, and 2 feeding bowls. They RARELY spat over the same hiding spot. No injuries ever. They are the same age and size. One seems more dominant than the other. Both are fat and happy.
I would be sure to have plenty of hides on both sides of the tank and 2 feed bowls so they don't fight over them. Match them about the same size too. Watch for injuries and check their condition often to be sure no one is getting bullied or looking stressed or under weight. Clearly it can be successfully done.

NearMeGeckos

I currently house 2 females together. I made sure they have 6 hiding spots, a large bowl for water, and 2 feeding bowls. They RARELY spat over the same hiding spot. No injuries ever. They are the same age and size. One seems more dominant than the other. Both are fat and happy.
I would be sure to have plenty of hides on both sides of the tank and 2 feed bowls so they don't fight over them. Match them about the same size too. Watch for injuries and check their condition often to be sure no one is getting bullied or looking stressed or under weight. Clearly it can be successfully done.
Thanks

Visit our friends