Dog and Cat Vitamins?

tomriddle

Hey everyone! (First post on here)

So I was watching a video on Youtube: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRjuh7VRvfg)

And this breeder says that he uses dog or cat vitamin powders instead of reptile calcium and other vitamin powders because it provides more vitamins. All of his leopard geckos look really healthy, so I was wondering: do you think it's worth a try? My young leopard is very healthy at this point, and my girlfriends 8 year old gecko and one of her 6 year old geckos are all doing really well but one of them who is also 6 is thin lately. So I was wondering if any of you have tried this? Does it seem like it's worth a try?

Also we're taking care of Comfort, we're going to be feeding her with some Fluker's Reptiboost and we're keeping her hydrated. We might also be separating her from her tank mate, who is very healthy and fat.

Thanks for any input guys!

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
Read and compare the nutritional ingredients of vionate and reptical. That should be the generic nutrient guideline. Vitamin supplements are not normally needed for healthy geckos unless they recently laid eggs, underwent surgery or was previously ill or is skinny.

Besides a normal feeder gutload is already sufficient for a leos well-being,

indyana

Ron Tremper's method is pretty standard for breeders. His method is very different in that instead of dusting feeders, he leaves a mixture of vitamins/calcium in a dish in the cage. He also gutloads his feeders with chicken lay mash.

If you are providing good quality reptile supplements already and gutloading your feeders, there isn't really a reason to switch. You didn't say what your current supplements are, but most people provide calcium, D3, and a multivitamin in some way.

Visit our friends