Don't Want Day Gecko Babies

CinTob

Hi All!

So, the good news is that after a few months, a few mistakes, and a lot of advice, I finally feel like a competent, responsible Gecko "parent." They're only 7 months at this point, but when I bought my Crimson Days, the seller didn't want to split the male/female pair. I was happy to have both, but asked about babies. He said that they would just eat their eggs since they're in captivity. Well, research tells me this isn't the case, and in fact that Days rarely eat their young either. (Not that I would want to see that!) I don't want any more geckos. I could freeze the eggs, so I've read? But I also read that removing the eggs makes the female lay more, and that constantly laying them is not in her best interest. I've also read that if breading isn't my interest, that they shouldn't be together, but they seem to enjoy each other. What do you all do?

Thanks!

Cindy

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The least disruptive thing to do is to let nature take its course: the eggs may or may not hatch in the cage, the parents may or may not eat the babies. Assuming they hatch and survive, I suspect there are a number of people who would like to own a day gecko.

Aliza

CinTob

Great answer!!! I like letting them be Geckos. And I hope you're right about people wanting them. Thanks!!! You are a shining light in the Gecko people's world!

CinTob

I do my best! I'd love a crimson day gecko but it's not in the cards for me.

Aliza
While I have you... Along the lines of Geckos being Geckos... I tend to always have Pangea available for them. They eat less than 1/4 tsp. of powder in two days. I use two varieties, and also feed then calcium covered baby crickets every other day. Safe to assume they won't overeat? Also, why are recommendations to feed adults only 4 or so days per week. Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Not a clue about the 4 days a week recommendation. I have a gold dust day gecko and an electric blue day gecko. Their feeding schedule is coordinated with the cresties and gargs for CGD and with my 2 micro geckos for crickets: CGD feeding on Tuesday and Friday nights (obviously they're not nocturnal, but it's there for them the next day), crickets Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. This takes into account that the electric blue probably prefers the crickets and the gold dust probably prefers the CGD.

Aliza

Visit our friends