Down side of breeding rats for feeders....

BalloonzForU

They are sooooo CUTE!!

Well I went to clean some rat tubs last week and found fresh litters so I couldn't change out the bedding because every time I do that they end up killing the babies because my smell is all over them. So I wait a few days for them to get some fur and find more litters in the tubs that already had litters that I was waiting on cleaning. :main_rolleyes: So now I'm waiting on them to get a little bigger so mommy and daddy don't kill them.

Meanwhile I moved the first litter to their own tub now they are weaned.
1.1 black 1.1 hooded all het siamese dumbos.
100_1955.JPG

Siamese mama and babies
100_1959.JPG

Now here's the other tub with all the babies, two litters about 25+ babies. I took these pics without noticing what I was seeing what I see now. Daddy is a Rex so all babies are het Rex, one of the mom's is a Rex too but I couldn't tell who was the mom for each litter when I first found them, but do you see what I see???
100_1956.JPG

Rex daddy sticking his head in the pic.
100_1958_op_800x600.jpg

And here are the Rex babies I found. I'm guessing the Rex female is mama to all the larger ones, but these are the ones that are starting to get the Rex coat. I'm sure the others will get the Rex coat to come in soon unless there are actually three litters in there instead of two.
100_1961.JPG

One of these cream colored ones looks like it maybe a siamese!!! :)
100_1965.JPG

LizMarie

:( Fe you can't feed those.. They're too precious..

The one in the first pic reminded me of Ratioulle.. Or whatever that Disney Movie is called with the Mouse that's a chief! Your make me want to "adopt" that Rat to save him from the mouth of a hungry snake, lol.

Last edited:

BalloonzForU

:( Fe you can't feed those.. They're too precious..

The one in the first pic reminded me of Ratioulle.. Or whatever that Disney Movie is called with the Mouse that's a chief! Your make me want to "adopt" that Rat to save him from the mouth of a hungry snake, lol.

lol The ones in the first pic are going to be raised for breeders, well minus one male, he may end up being a pet for Zach.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I could never raise my own mice or rats as feeders. They are so cute! I'm okay feeding the ones that are dead (well, sort of okay), but I couldn't do it if I saw them moving those cute little noses.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
That is exactly why I'm on first name basis with Chris at Big Cheese rodents!
They're so cute, I'd end up with pet rats and snakes that would have to learn to eat tofu.

BalloonzForU

I could never raise my own mice or rats as feeders. They are so cute! I'm okay feeding the ones that are dead (well, sort of okay), but I couldn't do it if I saw them moving those cute little noses.

It's hard at times with some of the cute ones, but after having to go to the hospital last year to get a tetnus shot from a rat bitting me all the way down to the bone, yeah I have no issue feeding them off!!

FEED ALL THE RED EYES!

Oh no, I can't do that to the siamese!! lol

That is exactly why I'm on first name basis with Chris at Big Cheese rodents!
They're so cute, I'd end up with pet rats and snakes that would have to learn to eat tofu.

LMAO!!!!

L

laughing dog

im tring to get my rats to care for the babes, as they keep ding or eating them after a two or three days. if anyone has advise on breeding feeder mice, please pm me!!! as the mice seem to butts about raising up babies, and costing me a fortune in feeders in my area.

justindh1

I had to goto a local pet shop lastnight to get feeders because I haven't had time to goto my local guy who breeds and orders bulk rodents. I get them pretty cheap and then don't have to worry about shipping expenses. I just don't breed them because of the extra hassle and time that you have to put into them. Plus they stink like butt!

The hardest thing for me is to look at these living creatures then grad them by the tail and give them a good swing onto the concrete! It makes me feel bad for a minute but then I'm over it pretty soon. I think hey, it happens in nature all the time. Not the swinging onto the concrete but the snakes killing live creatures to survive.

ClownCarOnFire

I have two pet Rats and spoil them to absolute death. *Just spent $250 on a brand new cage for them*
I couldn't ever feed live. Especially not Rats... And I could never bash one again something to stun it, either.
When I ever get myself a Snake, I want it eating frozen/thawed only. If that makes me a bad person...oh well lol.
I have nothing again Snakes at all. And they kill not out of spite, but to survive. I just can't chuck a Rat into a tank to its death.

geckoqueen

I have two pet Rats and spoil them to absolute death. *Just spent $250 on a brand new cage for them*
I couldn't ever feed live. Especially not Rats... And I could never bash one again something to stun it, either.
When I ever get myself a Snake, I want it eating frozen/thawed only. If that makes me a bad person...oh well lol.
I have nothing again Snakes at all. And they kill not out of spite, but to survive. I just can't chuck a Rat into a tank to its death.

I'm with you there. I could never place a rat, or a hamster into a tank to be ate. How sad. I will never own a snake, as really snakes scare me, no thanks. Why can't this person feed it a dead mouse, instead of killing a living creature? All I can say is.. I am sure glad I am not this persons rat. whew! I know! What if someone threw this person into a tank of sharks to be eatin..I bet they have a different point of view then..

Say! This shark needs to eat, so excuse me while I throw this rat killer to the sharks. I don't like that they feed their rats as food, so now you must get eatin'. Oh, and the shark has to eat something ya know, so it won't starve to death. :D. Look..I have to feed the shark something that is living, because nothing dead won't do. Well, I could always feed my shark a dead human, but I really do prefer the living ones. :lol: Besides, a few humans tried to rape and kill me, along time ago, so they should die to. My pet shark only eats humans. I'm looking for live bate, for my pet shark. I have found plenty of people who would make excellent food, as they P me off! Ya know. I have about 50 ex boyfriends I could use for live food.

Ps: If all of you are nice to me, then I won't feed you to my shark, but if you make me feel angry, or sad, or if you give me some kind of weird sexual disease, if you give me the flu. If you try to rape, or kill me, or cheat on me, then I will use you for shark food, ok.

Last edited:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Well I went to clean some rat tubs last week and found fresh litters so I couldn't change out the bedding because every time I do that they end up killing the babies because my smell is all over them.

Pull the fathers to separate bins between breedings and pregnancies. You can time the frequency better that way and their presence and dominant actions make the killing of the babies substantially more likely.

And... over time, just try to identify the relaxed, materially inclined females and use them as surrogates. I haven't bred rodents in a good long while because they were so much hassle but I used to keep a half dozen big calm older girls and move all the pups in with them, because they'd care for them more reliably than was average. Hell, they used to care for and even feed large piles of pinky mice and never had an issue with my poking around in their bins. Identifying and then testing those girls was the difficult part, a sort of winnowing process resulting from long term observation.

geckoqueen

If I hear of anymore rat, or mouse killings I am getting my pet shark to join the forums! He is hungry right now!

Visit our friends