Drainage Layer?

Hi y'all. I am getting a larger terrarium for my leopard gecko, and I want to get some coconut substrate. I remembered that soil substrates for dart frogs require a drainage Layer. Would I need the same for my leopard gecko? If so, what should I use?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Dart frogs need a lot of moisture (as do crested geckos to a lesser extent) and all the spraying causes the substrate to get saturated with water so a drainage layer is needed. You won't be misting your leopard gecko so you don't need a drainage layer. Here are 2 Gecko Time articles that deal with the leopard gecko's habitat in the wild and how someone used that info to make a bioactive leopard gecko enclosure:

Aliza

Thank you. That really helped me out, and saved me a ton of money. I was thinking about putting isopods in the terrarium. I read the article, and I feel that my gecko would more than likely eat quite a few of them. Is this safe?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think isopods need more moisture than you'd be providing. If you put them in there, they may end up hanging out under the water bowl. I doubt your gecko will even notice them since they're so small. I have isopods in all my planted enclosures and I don't even think my micro geckos are eating them. And if they did happen to eat some, it would be safe.
I had one bioactive enclosure for leopard geckos for awhile and I used dermestid beetles as a cleanup crew. In the articles I cited above, the author uses feigning blue death beetles which are kind of fascinating, though hard to find.

Aliza

Visit our friends