Dropped Ootheca... I screwed up

Neon Aurora

I'm still pretty new to dubias, and I have made a bit of a mistake. I had picked up one of the egg crates to see underneath it (just checking the status of the colony, making sure there weren't a lot of dead ones or any big messes) and noticed a female with something hanging out of her. I'm easily fascinated and wanted to take a picture. However, I forgot to turn the flash on my camera off, which seems to have startled her and caused her to drop it. Now I feel dumb. After a bit of reading, I realize that they will extrude the ootheca and then pull it back in. Well I don't think this one is going back in.

Can I incubate it? I hate to lose all the little ones. I'm planning on gently moving it to a tupperware with a bit of moist vermiculite and place that in my leopard gecko incubator. I've read that people are largely unsuccessful and the eggs pretty much always die. Any opinions? Anyone had success before?

Taking a look at some pictures of extruded ootheca, this roach had it much, much farther out than the pictures. It was practically all the way out. Could this have been an abortion? Would that indicate a problem with my husbandry?

EDIT: Well, it's in the incubator. I do like a good experiment, I guess.

bYgPKD4.jpg

Last edited:

Neon Aurora

I don't really think it's working. =P it's starting to look a little dry and nothing has really changed about it. I'll keep in there just because, though.

Visit our friends