Early MBD or overreacting Leo mom?

simmons

Hello,

This is Paco, and he’s (supposedly) a 1 month old leopard gecko. That’s what the petsmart employee told me, however he seems to be a little big to be only a month old. I’m not an expert though, I’ve only had a bearded dragon. He’s been with me for about a week, and he’s been the sweetest little guy.

The first picture is from his first day home. I noticed later that his foot was facing backwards, but now it’s back to normal (i.e. the second picture). Even since then, I’ve noticed that he’ll occasionally have his appendages facing the wrong way. It’s a different one each time.

Is this normal?

I’ve been researching early signs of MBD, but I haven’t seen much. I’ve been giving him generous amounts of calcium and d3, gut loading worms and leaving it out a bowl of it. He’s been licking it a lot.

Attachments

• CD1DFEA1-89CC-4204-A1E2-41562E75F71F.jpeg
    CD1DFEA1-89CC-4204-A1E2-41562E75F71F.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 6
  • F635B048-B496-40E8-9D85-990C713F2207.jpeg
    F635B048-B496-40E8-9D85-990C713F2207.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not a vet and that does look a little odd but I don't think it's MBD. Usually with MBD you'd see the limbs bowing and the gecko having trouble holding its belly off the ground. Remember that too much calcium can be as much of a problem as too little. I recommend dusting feeders with calcium and D3 every other feeding and taking the calcium out of the enclosure. I agree that he looks to be more than 1 month old.

Aliza

simmons

I'm not a vet and that does look a little odd but I don't think it's MBD. Usually with MBD you'd see the limbs bowing and the gecko having trouble holding its belly off the ground. Remember that too much calcium can be as much of a problem as too little. I recommend dusting feeders with calcium and D3 every other feeding and taking the calcium out of the enclosure. I agree that he looks to be more than 1 month old.

Aliza
Dually noted. I think I’ll remove his open feeding calcium bowl and just give him the dusted meal worms. Thanks for the input!

Visit our friends