Eating questions..

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
So my brother (Matt) and I purchased our first ball pythons together (the snakes are brother and sister too...heh). We bougth them last Tuesday.

They are in seperate houses, but the set ups are the exact same. Temps are the same and everything.

My ball ate a f/t hopper last Thursday.
Matt's has yet to eat.

The breeder assured us that his balls all eat f/t and that he wont sell a snake unless its eaten three f/t meals in a row (he feeds every Thursday). He recommended that we don't feed live, as he spends a lot of time making sure they'll eat f/t.

He says he'll dangle the body, and if they dont strike - leave it in the enclosure over night.

I know it has only been a week, but when should we be worried about Matt's snake? I know its probably just stressed from the move...but its stresses ME out that it hasnt eaten yet.

Any tips on how to get this guy to eat his mouse? Should I try rat pups instead? Does exposing its brain really work? I don't want to eat have to buy live, this is why we were so excited that these balls were guarenteed to eat f/t.

Thank you for your time.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Instinct manipulation. Alter the stimulus, alter the response. Modify the variables, starting with those most probable to retard or provoke feeding behaviors.

How well do you know ball pythons? In theory if not in practice; what have you read even if you haven't experienced it firsthand?

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I'm new to them, I would say I know the basics.

I would say I've been researching their care requirments for over a year now, but I've read a lot of conflicting information online.

I have always wanted a python and was aware of their 'picky' nature. Thats why I jumped at the chance with these pythons who already eat frozen. I had no desire to spend time with live prey to 'switch' a python over myself.

I fed mine again last night, and it ate no problem. Ovbiously every snake is different, and theres clearly a reason why the male is refusing food, while the female isnt.
I'll keep trying. I bought several rat pups (differ in colour and size) maybe they will work tonight.

Roaming Reptiles

Brandon Fowler
Give him time. Put him somewhere dark and warm and leave him alone for 5 or 6 days. Try to offer meal at night right before you go to bed. Put the F/T rats in the container with him and turn out the lights. If that doesn't work you can also put him in a sterilite container and take him for a drive for about 15 to 20 minutes. Believe it or not some will start eating as soon as they get home from the ride.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Give him time. Put him somewhere dark and warm and leave him alone for 5 or 6 days. Try to offer meal at night right before you go to bed. Put the F/T rats in the container with him and turn out the lights. If that doesn't work you can also put him in a sterilite container and take him for a drive for about 15 to 20 minutes. Believe it or not some will start eating as soon as they get home from the ride.

Drive them around, thats very interesting!

He ate tonight!
I went over to my parents house to see him. Turns our Matt's dangling skills are terrible. He ate a few seconds after I made the mouse twitch around.
Thank you for your help!

Visit our friends