Eating substrate?

MoronicBehavior

I want to know if my small Crestie will eat substrate if I put him in a bioactive environment? I set one up for him because he’s had a lot of trouble growing. I bought the substrate the owner of the pet store recommended. I’ve just been reading a lot on Google about how they eat the dirt and get impacted. I’m especially worried because Ziggy is SO small. If he ate a piece it would probably kill him. He only ever went on the ground in his old enclosure to shed in his little cave. Most the time he’s up on the leaves or his rock. I just don’t want anything to happen to him. But I also want him to grow! He’s my first Crestie ever. So any help is greatly appreciated.

I’ll post a picture of his enclosure and what substrate I bought. I also put in some leaf layer for my isopods. I added photos of Ziggy so you can see how small he is.
BCB88E6E-07F2-4212-B0D3-F25EFD8C0B51.jpeg 4E9FA072-08B8-4E9B-A462-641BA623C673.jpeg F3432801-AA56-4425-9ADB-962F325BCBF0.jpeg 46596B85-2CB7-4877-9D3B-B03217053D97.jpeg 25A91AD5-B499-44C3-A3D7-A44A2CFE475F.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As you noted, he will very rarely go on the ground. I feel that crested geckos thrive in bioactive environments with plants. If he gets a piece of substrate in his mouth when catching a cricket he'll probably spit it out. Go for it.

Aliza

MoronicBehavior

As you noted, he will very rarely go on the ground. I feel that crested geckos thrive in bioactive environments with plants. If he gets a piece of substrate in his mouth when catching a cricket he'll probably spit it out. Go for it.

Aliza
I don’t feed him crickets so even less chance he will go down on the ground. I was worried about him hunting the isopods. It’s mainly just he’s so very small that an impaction would kill him. If he was full grown I’d have no problem.

MoronicBehavior

Being arboreal, I don't think he's going to have any interest in the isopods.

Aliza
I don’t know. He’s chased bugs before in his enclosure. Little tiny flying ones. I just think he’s too dwarfed in size for substrate. Like he’s basically the size of newborns. Maybe a tiny bit bigger because he has shed before. But he can’t weigh more than 3 grams. I am going to get a scale to weigh him.

Visit our friends