Egg Firmness

cowana

Sunny's eggs are still fairly soft, I know they're soft-shelled, but aren't they supposed to firm up and not be kinda squishy? I opened the container for air exchange yesterday and they were still "squishy" but holding there shape (no dents, caving in, etc.). Shouldn't they be more firm and slightly "spongy"?

I had read after I put them in the incubator if they were still soft (meaning probably freshly laid) that you should leave them in the lay box for a few hours to firm up more. I didn't know this since it is my first clutch ever and I didn't want to take them out of the media and incubator. Is squishiness normal after 3 days or will I possibly lose these eggs? I know to let them ride until obviously bad (smell rotten, deflated, etc.), but I want to do my best to not repeat any mistakes I may be making incubating.

Thanks.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They can go right into the incubator regardless of how soft they are. Infertile eggs are sometimes like water balloons and are very squishy. I think the hardest thing to do about gecko eggs is to just leave them alone and be kind of fatalistic about what may or may not happen. My first gecko eggs (10 years ago!) looked good for 9 weeks and then shriveled. When I opened them up I found that there was nothing in there. I have found that if I transfer my obsession from egg-watching to record keeping it helps a bit. Good luck with them.

Aliza

cowana

Thanks. I've been good to not mess with them until I did the air exchange. It is hard though not to fret. I'm super excited about this first clutch and nervous I may not be doing things right. Ha

I did poke 5 little air holes in the lid of the deli cup last night and they seemed much firmer tonight. I candles them and saw 2 red blobs, so I think I will be more content now to let the eggs alone. Well, besides the visual checks I need to do to make sure they're not drying out, rotting, etc.

Now I will focus on record keeping (I downloaded the trial of HerperPro... Holy Cow!) and trying to get Sunny up from 34g!

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. It helps to have guidance from the experts!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Hope things work out. I often have eggs not work out early in the season, so it may happen,but there are more eggs coming!

Aliza

cowana

Thank you! I am trying to not get my hopes up too high since I am still figuring out my incubator, the media, correct humidity, etc... And getting it all right together. I do feel much better now that the eggs aren't squishy and are more firm. Think the humidity was a bit too high in the deli cup. Also, knowing they are most likely fertile is a huge positive. If these don't work out though I still have plenty of chances for hatchlings! :)

cowana

Thanks for asking. They are still doing good. She laid them on 2/4 so they're a month old, approximately another month to go. I'm incubating for females.

9850c4334ade2dab469c97b7bf5ad4d3.jpg

273712b100c3fb7234bbf2cf14e3c794.jpg

I should start a journal thread for my females, eggs & hatchlings.

Shrapnailed

They are looking good! My first fertile clutch was laid on 1/31 so I am right there with you. Also incubating for females so I can house together

Visit our friends