Egg temps?

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
If I remember correctly, 80f for females, 89f for males and 84-85f for a mix right?

I just wanted to check here because every other source gives different temps every time. I am at 83f in my incubator but hoping to go for females. Should I lower it 3 degrees?

PS- No eggs yet, still a week or more away

Last edited:

cowana

I have mine at 81 for females. My Helix thermostat is holding the temperature pretty steady with very little variance. I figured at 81 it gives it 1 degree either way for variance. Keeping the eggs pretty safely in the female range, without worrying about being too cold or hot. :)

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
I have mine at 81 for females. My Helix thermostat is holding the temperature pretty steady with very little variance. I figured at 81 it gives it 1 degree either way for variance. Keeping the eggs pretty safely in the female range, without worrying about being too cold or hot. :)

I use 83 for females

I think I'll go inbetween and go for 82F - that way if it drops a degree it'll be 81, if it goes up a degree it'll be 83f, so that's perfect.

Thanks guys!

cowana

I think I'll go inbetween and go for 82F - that way if it drops a degree it'll be 81, if it goes up a degree it'll be 83f, so that's perfect.

Thanks guys!

No problem! Mine has been staying between 81.1-81.4 with my Helix thermostat (I bought it used so I'm happy), but I like leaving a little leeway. :)

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
My incubator is pretty stable, so I do 80 for females and 90 for males. :)

Mine is a DIY one I put together a while ago so I'll probably keep it between 81/82 because it does fluctuate just a bit

No problem! Mine has been staying between 81.1-81.4 with my Helix thermostat (I bought it used so I'm happy), but I like leaving a little leeway. :)

I'm going the old aquarium heater/water cooler incubator. The aquarium heater I have has a built in thermostat and as long as the water is at 81/82 it works :D but either way, having some margin for error is always good as you said.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I usually try to incubate females at 82-83 and males around 88-89. I've done the 85 range before and ended up with about 70% males, so I made sure to lower it after that.

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
I usually try to incubate females at 82-83 and males around 88-89. I've done the 85 range before and ended up with about 70% males, so I made sure to lower it after that.

I have it steady at 82.4!!!! I am so happy :D It goes down .2 every now and then but.. nothing is perfect. And it's good I have those figures to go off incase I want a mixed sex season one year, then I'd do about 85 as you said. But otherwise, 82/89 it is!

I am just waiting for eggs (one of which I can see in her stomach already and it's been 12+ days since the male was introduced)

cowana

I have it steady at 82.4!!!! I am so happy :D It goes down .2 every now and then but.. nothing is perfect. And it's good I have those figures to go off incase I want a mixed sex season one year, then I'd do about 85 as you said. But otherwise, 82/89 it is!

Awesome! I've heard some people do a mixed batch by starting the season as female and then slowly raising the incubator to mixed than male throughout the season. Haven't researched it though.

I am just waiting for eggs (one of which I can see in her stomach already and it's been 12+ days since the male was introduced)

Lucky! Cheech's fat pads keep me from seeing her eggs. The vein is getting more prevalent in pics, so I'm hoping soon. It was easier with Sunny. The eggs were extremely easy to see in her abdomen. Cheech is a little chunk. LOL

Boa'sUnlimited

Shape Shifter
Awesome! I've heard some people do a mixed batch by starting the season as female and then slowly raising the incubator to mixed than male throughout the season. Haven't researched it though.

Lucky! Cheech's fat pads keep me from seeing her eggs. The vein is getting more prevalent in pics, so I'm hoping soon. It was easier with Sunny. The eggs were extremely easy to see in her abdomen. Cheech is a little chunk. LOL

I'll have to read up on that, thanks! And lol yeah some of my females are chunky like yours so I can't see :( it sucks lol

Visit our friends