Egg turned pinky-orange overnight

Divadoll

Yesterday, before noon, my leopard gecko laid a large egg. I moved it to a commercial incubator while it was still softish and the color was bright white. It was put in barely moist organic vermiculite (i checked to make sure all excess water as squeezed out and barely clumping into a soft ball). Temp at 86. Humidity in range. It had a orange stain when I checked at about midnight, but it had toughened up appropriately and otherwise looked good. I check 10 hours later and it's entirely pinky-orange and starting to wrinkle. I've seen eggs end up infertile but never change colors like this. The egg was never in contact with anything else. I was not eating Cheetos at any time. What's going on? The incubator is new and has a styrofoam smell, but I can't imagine that would be the cause. Could this be some rogue mold spore gone wild?

P.S. She has been bred so fertile eggs are possible. I rescued this breeding pair do I don't know exact age but I believe they are both about 3 years old.

Attachments

• 20220806_101236.jpg
    20220806_101236.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've never seen one turn that color either, but it looks as if it's not a good egg. Sometimes even proven geckos may lay the first few clutches of the season and have them be infertile.

Aliza

Visit our friends