Eggs and Moving my Incubator?

Neon Aurora

So I'm moving about 30 miles away from where I am now. I have two eggs in my incubator that are 39 days old and looking awesome. I also have another clutch on the way that should be laid pretty soon. I have the option of leaving my incubator where it is now until the eggs hatch or taking it with me. If I took it with me, I would be driving 30 miles on curvy roads (it takes about 30-45 minutes). The temperature would probably not stay that stable because it is HOT here (New Mexico) this time of year.
On the other hand, I will be moving all of my leopard geckos and equipment very soon. When the eggs hatch, would I be able to move the hatchlings immediately? I would basically have to take them to my new place the day they hatch because I wouldn't have any equipment to house them until they're stronger.

So.. What should I do? Risk moving the eggs or the hatchlings?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You could do it either way. If you feel that the ambient temp in the car will be higher than the incubation temp, maybe you could put an ice pack in the incubator for the trip. The same would go for the hatchings if you wait. Put each in its own deli cup with holes punched and a moist paper towel. Put that in a cooler with an ice pack.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think that if they're well anchored in substrate and the containers are well anchored and you're not trying out for Indianapolis 500 they should be OK.

Aliza

Neon Aurora

Cool, thanks. Looks like these last two eggs were duds, so I'll probably just wait for my last 2 good eggs to hatch and then move the babies.

Visit our friends