Eggs Candle Pink but seem empty

Dazmite

Hi everyone,
This is our first year having eggs. First 2 were much larger than the rest. One looks pink but no veins or bullseye can be seen. its 61 days old today, looks good but shouldnt I be able to see something. Egg weighs 8 grams. its twin didnt make it past the second week. there are 3 other eggs from two other clutches that seem the same, just smaller and weigh 5 and 6 grams. All of the info and pictures I have found don't look like these when candled. The larger egg was laid in eco earth and has fibers stuck to it. could these be blocking the view? Our sons are so excited that there maybe babies on the way. The larger is incubating in eco earth. (all I could find locally at the time) Last set is in perlite, I found them buried when I wasnt expecting them so they are stuck together.
Incubator is a homemade tank with 3 gallons of water heated with a bed raised up just touching the water. wrapped in foam sheets. I was told that I should just leave the individual containers open to the humid air which is about 75-80%, Other two container I have tops on.

Thanks for any advice.

Ok just looked closer at the second set. One egg remaining. I can see veins inside if I get really close. (hey I'm old) but first larger on I can not determine. It looks as if its outside is getting brownish. I have read it could be staining from the eco earth. Same color.

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
what temperature are you incubating at? By 61 days the egg should be so full you wouldn't be able to see veins or anything. Pink is good. The best bet is to just keep incubating till the eggs either stink or hatch. Don't worry about candling. I've had perfectly healthy babies come out of eggs where I couldn't see anything. Hopefully your homemade incubator is maintaining steady temperatures because temperature fluctuations (above about 2 degrees) can cause egg death and deformities.

Aliza

Dazmite

Thanks for the reply,
Temps appear to stay a steady 80 degrees. I have a thermometer stuck directly in the substrate next to one egg, and another measuring surrounding air temps. so far none of these stink or even look bad.
Thanks Again

Byost86

Looks like your eggs are good then. They should be hatching soon which is always fun.

Dazmite

Hello Everyone, Just wanted to say Thanks for the input. Our huge seemingly empty egg hatched this afternoon. Cute little Leopard Gecko, son named her Cappuccino. Within the last few days the egg seemed to darken inside. We now have 9 more incubating. 8 of which are about 1/2 the size of this one. But they all show strong veins and embryo shadows in a few of the oldest ones. Todays hatch was 89 days old at 80 degrees.
20150418_201513.jpg

Last edited:

Visit our friends