Eggs good or bad

Hi so my female finally laid her eggs. They are perfectly shaped pearly white and she was bred to a male but when I candled them it looked yellow with blotches on the inside but no complete red shine is this normal. I would assume their fertile because of the mating.

I would assume it impossible them not fertile when i candles then you could see like red brownish blotched but the egg was a yellow color I would assume they almost have to be fertile as they are her first clutch and she mated but I have no idea.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Even if they mated, they don't have to be fertile. Even if they look fertile at the beginning, they may not continue to develop. Eggs can be infertile after a mating because: the female is infertile; the male is infertile; the female/male is new to breeding and whatever it takes to create a fertile egg hasn't kicked in yet. When I was breeding it wasn't unusual for even seasoned females to produce the first few clutches of eggs in the season that didn't hatch.
I have had eggs that looked great (and initially candeled fertile) go nowhere, and eggs that looked awful hatch. The general wisdom is to incubate it until the egg either hatches or stinks. It's really hard to wait and excessive candling isn't good for the egg. Good luck. I diverted myself with excessive record keeping that kept me from messing with the eggs too much!

Aliza

Even if they mated, they don't have to be fertile. Even if they look fertile at the beginning, they may not continue to develop. Eggs can be infertile after a mating because: the female is infertile; the male is infertile; the female/male is new to breeding and whatever it takes to create a fertile egg hasn't kicked in yet. When I was breeding it wasn't unusual for even seasoned females to produce the first few clutches of eggs in the season that didn't hatch.
I have had eggs that looked great (and initially candeled fertile) go nowhere, and eggs that looked awful hatch. The general wisdom is to incubate it until the egg either hatches or stinks. It's really hard to wait and excessive candling isn't good for the egg. Good luck. I diverted myself with excessive record keeping that kept me from messing with the eggs too much!

Aliza
Thanks.I candeled like 2 or 3 times today I’ll stop. Also the eggs have a little red ring one of them. But I noticed the humidity drains quickly do you have any tips thanks.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm assuming the eggs are in an incubator. Some people have had success keeping them where they were laid or finding a place where the temperature stays steady all the time (it needs to be steady within a degree or so, somewhere between 80-88F). The success rate with this type of incubation will be lower, but if you believe strongly in survival of the fittest then that will work for you (though some leopard geckos incubated with fluctuating temperatures will hatch with deformities). In an incubator, we use moist substrate, and keep them in a sealed container which we open about once a week for a minute or so to allow air exchange.

Aliza

I'm assuming the eggs are in an incubator. Some people have had success keeping them where they were laid or finding a place where the temperature stays steady all the time (it needs to be steady within a degree or so, somewhere between 80-88F). The success rate with this type of incubation will be lower, but if you believe strongly in survival of the fittest then that will work for you (though some leopard geckos incubated with fluctuating temperatures will hatch with deformities). In an incubator, we use moist substrate, and keep them in a sealed container which we open about once a week for a minute or so to allow air exchange.

Aliza
They are thanks for everything.

Margi San Diego

Hi so my female finally laid her eggs. They are perfectly shaped pearly white and she was bred to a male but when I candled them it looked yellow with blotches on the inside but no complete red shine is this normal. I would assume their fertile because of the mating.
I have a noob question. I have a newly acquired adult female Leo. Do they lay eggs without mating? She is getting really fat. I don’t want to limit her food unless necessary.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some female leopard geckos do. In my experience, most don't. Of my 24 female leopard geckos who have either never been with a male or haven't in the last 3 years, one laid eggs last season. By contrast, pretty much all of my 4 crested gecko females and 8 gargoyle gecko females (who have also either never been with a male or not in the last 3 years) laid eggs.

Aliza

ZNature

Yeah my females develop eggs during breeding season. I don’t breed them but it’s natural. Sometimes they re absorb the egg if its not fertilized or they might just lay the infertile egg anyways. I’m not sure if this is the same with leopard geckos but sometimes there are some eggs from the same clutch that are fertile and others that aren’t. You can just incubate them and if they start looking questionable just separate from the other eggs and incubate it some more. Eventually you will see if it is a good or bad egg.

Visit our friends