Eggs turned soft over night.

ParnailChumash

So my Leo just laid two 100% fertile eggs. I put them in the incubator for 83 degrees.
And this morning I went to check on them and they have turned soft. When you candle them you can still see the embryo it just its a soft egg. Is this normal?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Leopard gecko eggs are not hard like chicken eggs. If by "soft" you mean they've collapsed then that's not so good. What kind of incubator do you have? Some people put small holes in the egg container which could reduce humidity. It's better not to have holes and to just uncover the egg container briefly every week. Some eggs candle fertile and don't develop, kind of like a human early miscarriage.

Aliza

LoveReps

Have you added enough water to the incubator? If you mean they are deflated it could be because they need more humidity like acpart said. Be sure to have an accurate hydrometer if theres not one already built into the incubator so you can properly monitor. Hope everything gets better.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have to admit I've never used a hygrometer in my incubator. When using substrate that I buried the eggs in, I followed instructions about getting it wet enough. When using the substrate-less containers I made sure that there was water condensing on the sides of the box.

Aliza

LoveReps

It's different for everyone I guess. I believe new timers need one until they are comfortable without it so you dont risk having too much or too little. It's better to be safe than risk a seasons worth of babies.

Visit our friends