EMERGENCY, baby crested gecko potential tail rot

Parker

20220420_211256.jpg
I've had two babies me and my girlfriend have hatched at the end of July 2021, they've both been completely fine before no behavioral or physical issues, they're fed repashy every two days where they both have eaten completely fine. The only problem so far has been that one has been slightly smaller than the other (being the one with the recent tail issue) but I have monitored this by watching for bullying and hand feeding the smaller one with the recent tail issues. They're in a bioactive exo terra with a fogger and a heat lamp because of how cold it can get here, but I've always monitored temperature and made sure they're stable with the help of heat lamps and heaters. The problem occurred today when I took the smaller baby out and noticed her tail had been crisp and dead looking, I considered it being from the other gecko attacking this one but they've never shown signs of that before plus they're both girls. My second thought was that maybe she had pinched it on something or maybe the heating failed and it got too cold. The gecko doesn't seem to be in any pain and is completely happy and moving around with ease, if it wasn't for her obvious tail issue I would think that she was fine. I'm asking for help for just what to do next, the exotic vet in my city is closed right now so I cant take her there, I was wondering if it would be smart to assist her with dropping her tail or what.

Keenzur

Are they housed in the same tank? If so I would recommend separating them immediately.
I would take your baby to the vet as soon as they open. They may tell you she just needs to drop her tail.

Last edited:

Parker

Are they housed in the same tank? If so I would recommend separating them immediately.
I would take your baby to the vet as soon as they open. They may tell you she just needs to drop her tail.
Thank you for responding as of right now she's recovering in a separate hospital tank with paper towel substrate because she did end up dropping her tail, other than that she's doing great still eating and pooping normally and her tail drop wound seems to be doing fine but we're still monitoring her closely.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would guess that the cause of the problem, if related to heat, was more likely too much heat as opposed to the cold. Check to see how hot the heat lamp gets if the gecko can get close to it. Unless your house is really cold, I don't see any reason to have a heat light for crested geckos. I only have lights at all in my crestie enclosures because I have plants.

Aliza

Parker

I would guess that the cause of the problem, if related to heat, was more likely too much heat as opposed to the cold. Check to see how hot the heat lamp gets if the gecko can get close to it. Unless your house is really cold, I don't see any reason to have a heat light for crested geckos. I only have lights at all in my crestie enclosures because I have plants.

Aliza
Because of where we moved the girl she doesn't need a heat lamp, but they usually do just because If i don't use them the temp can drop to 14 degrees or lower. I feel like temp might not be the issue though because looking at the tail it seems there is a gash or cut that caused it

Visit our friends