Enclosure diy build

krissyleigh

Let's revive this forum with some enclosure build illustrations! I'll start - keep in mind this was my first build. In retrospect I would have done a lot different. The tank is a 20 long I bought on sale for $20.

I'll start with a photo of the finished product, and then if you are interested you can scroll through and see the process. Note I say "finished product " but I'm still working on the plants.
View from both sides:
20170326_213558.jpg 20170326_213944.jpg

Ok, I'm doing the process in the next post below. It won't let me do it all together

krissyleigh

So these are in order. At the end where it has plants, then is empty then has plants again is where I broke down the tank to clean it and rearrange plants. The last photo is the same as the two above. Hope you enjoyed!!! Hope the background plants live this time...

FB_IMG_1490385268052.jpg FB_IMG_1490385271381.jpg FB_IMG_1490385261477.jpg FB_IMG_1490385251945.jpg FB_IMG_1490385258299.jpg FB_IMG_1490384818507.jpg FB_IMG_1490384794801.jpg 20170326_210025.jpg 20170326_214018.jpg

Yvonne G

Administrator
Staff member
I really like that.

There's a product (or two) on the market that cuts the surface tension of water and helps the soil to absorb it. If you can't find it, you can just add a drop of dish soap to your watering can. I think your plants' problem was that the soil dried out and when you watered the new water just ran off, not getting the plant's roots wet.

So how did this enclosure work out for the lizard?

krissyleigh

Thank you! For the compliment and advice!

He loves it. The tank is a little unconventional because it is such a small footprint, only about one square foot, but to me height is more important since they aren't ground dwellers. Plus it makes it really easy to find space for in my house! It is about 2 and a half feet tall, and he bounces all over the upper part of the tank. I will hear thunk noises in the night from his flying leaps across the empty space up top.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Great enclosure! How did you work the door since I assume you turned the 20 gallon on its end? I'm the editor of Gecko Time (www.geckotime.com/archives) and am always interested in publishing "do it yourself" articles for builds. The only important thing is that if someone posts the whole thing online somewhere, we can't publish it. Your pictures, since they don't include text, would make it eligible for publication if you want to write it up. Let me know if you're interested.

Aliza

krissyleigh

Thanks! I didn't put up a pic of the door because it's ugly - I went the lazy route, bought a folding screen lid and partially covered it with plastic wrap to keep the humidity in. But since you asked, I'll include a picture. It's stuck on with Velcro and a clamp, so super easy access. I plan on making a really nice cupboard style door using plexiglass, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

And yeah, cross posting this sounds intriguing- other people's posts helped me out a lot when I was making this.

Attachments

• 20170328_172040.jpg
    20170328_172040.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you cover the door with heavy, clear vinyl it will look a bit better. That's what I did with one of my cages that I bought that had a screen door which wasn't helping with humidity.

Aliza

Visit our friends