Enclosure Suggestions

BowlODirt

Hey, I had the pleasure of taking in a friend’s brother’s leo gecko due to his poor caretaking. His name is Yeti and he’s been living in this terrarium for a year now and has had no issues with it; however, I am 16 (almost 17) and plan to get a job. When I start getting paid I would like to buy some stuff and make his tank more home-y. Any suggestions on what I should buy or switch out??

I already have plans to go shopping with a friend who has 2 leo geckos and we plan to get some substrate for them to replace the carpeting. I saw many people recommending food bowls but I feed Yeti live crickets, so I don’t think it would be necessary? Please drop suggestions on items to buy and stores to go to below please! :)

Attachments

• E056307E-3C02-4EA8-A5B2-741565972047.jpeg
    E056307E-3C02-4EA8-A5B2-741565972047.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • E5FA1046-ED53-4331-A9FF-FEBCB08EA1FB.jpeg
    E5FA1046-ED53-4331-A9FF-FEBCB08EA1FB.jpeg
    912.7 KB · Views: 12

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to you and Yeti. One of the most important things to buy when you have the money is a 20 gallon long tank (if that's a 10 gallon). If you don't have an under tank heater, that's another thing to buy along with a thermostat. Then you can get rid of the lights which tend to dry out the air in the tank. Get that stuff first and then think about decorations.
You can buy a Gladware sandwich container at the grocery store. Cut a square hole in the lid, big enough for Yeti to climb into. Put some paper towels in it and moisten them. This will be his humid hide.
You're right, if he's eating crickets he doesn't need a food bowl.
Make sure you have calcium and vitamin D3 for dusting his crickets.

Aliza

BowlODirt

Welcome to you and Yeti. One of the most important things to buy when you have the money is a 20 gallon long tank (if that's a 10 gallon). If you don't have an under tank heater, that's another thing to buy along with a thermostat. Then you can get rid of the lights which tend to dry out the air in the tank. Get that stuff first and then think about decorations.
You can buy a Gladware sandwich container at the grocery store. Cut a square hole in the lid, big enough for Yeti to climb into. Put some paper towels in it and moisten them. This will be his humid hide.
You're right, if he's eating crickets he doesn't need a food bowl.
Make sure you have calcium and vitamin D3 for dusting his crickets.

Aliza
Thank you so much!!
The suggestions are very appreciated and I’ll be on it ASAP :) Do you have any recommendations on which calcium and vitamin D3 dusting I should get?

AndyBunn

Hi Bowl0dirt

I use calcidust and Nutrobal. I alternate daily and have two separate days where i dont dust food.

Hope this helps.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I use Repashy calcium plus. I feed my leopard geckos twice a week and dust once a week. (Thursday is dusting day!)

Aliza

AndyBunn

Hi Aliza

I suppose when my leopard gecko is an adult i will do the same kind of routine.
Which isnt far off now.

Samcman

A good place to shop for pet supplies is Amazon for the heat mat and thermostat they have the best pricing and chewy has a very wide selection of decor and hides, 20 gallon longs are super easy to find on facebook market place for $20 or during petcos $1 per tank sale they have throughout the year. I personally suggest a 40 gallon to provide lots of hides and enrichment I got mine at petco on sale for $50. I love decorating my tanks with cork bark and fake flowers I get at the dollar store. For substrate I suggest eco earth, I personally use non adhesive shelf liner because it looks the best and is easy to clean, I find with ecoearth my Leo tends to pick it up while eating mealworms and the mealworms burrow in it causing me to lose some. Best of luck with your new Leo!

BowlODirt

A good place to shop for pet supplies is Amazon for the heat mat and thermostat they have the best pricing and chewy has a very wide selection of decor and hides, 20 gallon longs are super easy to find on facebook market place for $20 or during petcos $1 per tank sale they have throughout the year. I personally suggest a 40 gallon to provide lots of hides and enrichment I got mine at petco on sale for $50. I love decorating my tanks with cork bark and fake flowers I get at the dollar store. For substrate I suggest eco earth, I personally use non adhesive shelf liner because it looks the best and is easy to clean, I find with ecoearth my Leo tends to pick it up while eating mealworms and the mealworms burrow in it causing me to lose some. Best of luck with your new Leo!
Thank you so much!! I genuinely appreciate the specifics! :)) I don’t think I have the space for a 40 gal, only a 20 gal. I never thought Chewy would have mixed stuff!
Thank you sm! :)

Visit our friends