Exposed to a rabies positive animal!

JordanAng420

I've been in the veterinary industry for a LONG time. I've worked at a LOT of different animal hospitals and i've dealt with a LOT of different situations. However, I have NEVER dealt with a confirmed positive rabies case.

To make a long story short, I had a cat that boarded at my animal hospital for about 10 days, ended up developing neurological symptoms, and was then euthanized and sent out for rabies testing (11 week old kitten, found on the street). Yesterday the Broward County Health Department called and told us this kitten tested positive for rabies.

So now that i've been exposed to this cat, I have to go and have my rabies series done again. The last time I had it done, which I think was when I got my certification 11 years ago, I was sick for 2 weeks, and I ended up in the hospital for a few days.

I never thought my job could possibly threaten my life. I'm scared to death.

Wish me luck with the idiots at the health department tomorrow.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
YOU WON"T DIE!!! Why? Because MuMu said so and you are to young to( still got hundreds of animals to heal). I got bitten by a wild squrriel twice<-- I am still alive but then I cleaned that finger like a million times.

Dimidiata

Rabies vacs SUCK SUCK SUCK! Ive had a friend who was bitten by a stray dog, ended up rabies+ and he had to go in for a full series of treatment. He was out of school for a week. I hope it goes well for you(Ok well better then last time). And dont go getting rabies on us.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
The vet industry is one of the most dangerous, and unappreciated. A lot of the chemicals/medications are super toxic. I would have to develop x-rays the old fashion way, and would get light headed by the fumes. Xrays themselves are very dangerous, and the safty equipment most vet clinics provide are bare minimum. Bites, scartches, needle pokes (if youre clumbsy like me) - usually get infected without treatment.
Ive been dewormed because I kissed a wormie baby...embarrassing.

We do a lot for those animals, and its unfortunate that things like this happen.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Oh my! Wishing the best for you and thinking good thoughts.
I have heard that series is unpleasant...

Theyre so expensive! Health care is generally free here, but they charge around $700 for a pre exposure vaccination.

hrford

That really stinks. I have a vet tech friend who had it happen with a rabies positive horse. She was really affected by those shots and was miserable. I hope you recover quickly.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Maia, this is a horrible thing you are having to go through, and I send hugs and prayers that this treatment will be over soon and you will be back to health in no time.

Visit our friends