Eye issues

juleszuckerberg

About your leo:
- Sex M
- Age 5 years old
- How long have you owned your leo 5 years
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) Breeder

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo Every other day approx.
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now.
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe- For the past 2 weeks has had no appetite, been somewhat lethargic.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal)
- When was the last time he/she went 4 or 5 days ago
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on
Scout had a rough shed a couple of weeks ago and it took multiple days for him to remove the piece that was on his face. Afterwards it appeared as if some damage had occurred to his eyes, leaving them reddish, filmy, and sort of distorted looking. He hasn't really been eating much since either and I'm worried about the little guy. He's also keeping his eyes shut the majority of the time. Have any of you dealt with this before? I took him to the vet and she didn't really have any advice besides potentially upping his vitamin D and misting his tank. During the appointment we also noticed a little lump on his foot, but it doesn't appear to be effecting mobility/grip. Let me know if any of you have thoughts or advice?

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size 20 gal
- Type (ex. glass tank) glass
- Type of substrate fabric washable mat
- Hides, how many, what kind 1 wet, 2 dry
B) Heating
- Heat source Under tank heater, UVB lamb
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) 92 degrees on hot side, 70/75-ish on cool side
- Method of regulating heat source
- What are you using to measure your temps Thermometer for under tank heater
- Do you have any lights (describe) UVB light, low wattage
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) none
- Describe health, or previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) Mealworms/superworms primarily, sometimes supplemental dubias and hornworms
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) left in dish, dushed in calcium
B) Supplements (describe how often) calcium in food dish
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands)-reptocal
- What are you gut loading food with-apples, carrots, spinach

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.08.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.08.58 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.08.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.08.51 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.08.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 4.08.46 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Did you take your gecko to a reptile vet or to a general vet? The picture of the eye looks to me to be an abrasion. There should be some antibiotic eye drops or topical cream that you could use for it, and a vet should be able to check and make sure there isn't a small piece of shed stuck under the eyelid (that's happened to some of my geckos). The lump on the foot looks like a small infection. You could sterilize a needle, gently pierce the lump and see if you can squeeze out some pus. If you took your gecko to a general vet, see if they can recommend a reptile vet.

Aliza

juleszuckerberg

Hi, thanks for the response!
I took him to see a general vet.
Do you know if there is a way to purchase any of these ointments over the counter at a pet supply or online?
He also hasn’t been eating, and I was wondering if you might have any advice on that. He just doesn’t seem interested in the live food in his dish or when I hold a mealworm in tongs in front of him. I wonder if its due to vision issues from the abrasion or some other effect of his current condition.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If he's not feeling well, he probably won't eat. Reptiles can go without eating for much longer than mammals. If you know what kind of ointment you need, there's probably a way to purchase it, but the thing is, you need a reptile vet to tell you what and how much to use. See if your general vet can recommend a reptile vet, and/or check arav.com to find a vet near you.

Aliza

Visit our friends