Fair Market Value!?!?!?

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
First off, I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one that's seen this "trend" lately. But it's really beginning to bug the crap out of me!

What is it with $10 and $12 SHTCTBs? A RAPTOr het for $50? An Enigma for $75? Are you kidding me? Forget the fact that these "breeders", and in relation to these individuals I use that term loosely, are hosing up market prices for virtually everybody else with a comparable animal. What exactly are they telling the general public about the animals they produce, when they have a total disregard for the average market price?

What's worse, unknowing hobbyists jump right in with both feet and make a totally uninformed decision. For you folks, consider this your wake-up call! Buyer Beware!!!

In closing, I wanted to wait until fight club was reopened to bring this up, but I completely ran out of patience as of late! None the less, I think I stayed well within the boundaries of this forum. I'd really like to hear other's thoughts. :main_thumbsup:

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
hi maurice,
Are these prices on the forums or at shows?? I try to follow the market but it has been very busy here with our move. As far as the enigmas go i have seen them as low as $15 at shows, they are just everywhere. But i have never seen a $12-$10 SHCT it cant be any quality in them at all. But there is no secret that the market is way down, but this happens every couple of years for leos(this one just happens to be worse). The bottom line is i do not think anyone thought it was going to be this bad and breeders have to move animals, and i guess that means lowering prices to meet the poor economy

Baoh

Any person can sell whatever they want for however much they please. That may imply reduced quality, but does not guarantee it.

It saddens me to see the drop move as swiftly as it has, but people overproduced last year (and again this year) and are getting desperate this year.

Nobody has to tell anybody else anything to justify the price. In the same way that I find it ridiculous to see Enigmas for $15, I find it equally ridiculous to charge $100 or more for a Normal triple het for Diablo Blanco that has nothing else special about it. Also, what some people call "Sunglows" are just Trempers with a tiny reduction in banding. I've also seen typical, no-frills, unspecial SHTCTBs sell for hundreds more than better animals just due to reputation/name.

I see a lot of people chastise others and maintain this should be done for the love of it and then many of these same people will go on to complain about pricing and matters of money. Quite a bit of hypocrisy, there.

Not you or necessarily anyone in particular. Just a lot of what I see.

As for me, I'm far more bummed by the loss of two of my favorite animals within 24 hours of each other than the market downturn. Sudden deaths. No trauma. No preceding signs of illness. Different feeders. Different enclosures. Different rooms. Never had contact with each other. They were superior breeders as well as pets. These were among the few I promised myself I'd never sell. While I hated seeing Diablo Blancos still going for around $800 last year to drop to a mere $125 this year and watching Novas go from over $1000 (sometimes double this) to under $500 in even less time, I'm far more concerned by matters such as these two deaths. The money is nice if it comes. The pets are nice if it doesn't. Additionally, I hooked up to supply a local pet store with the offspring I do not want to incorporate into my colonies, so that alleviates rack space issues.

On the bright side, this sort of thing gives me the opportunity to do more line improvement/refinement work and a few "under wraps" projects that will be either unique to me or difficult to reproduce (the beauty) quickly.

Valley Reptiles

Great post Baoh:main_thumbsup:. The market is not going to stay the same especially with the bad economy. $75 enigmas and $50 het raptors seem reasonable considerin the prices they have been advertized at lately. The shtct are low but they are his to sell and his to decide what he thinks they are worth:main_yes:

KelliH

Any person can sell whatever they want for however much they please. That may imply reduced quality, but does not guarantee it.

It saddens me to see the drop move as swiftly as it has, but people overproduced last year (and again this year) and are getting desperate this year.

Nobody has to tell anybody else anything to justify the price. In the same way that I find it ridiculous to see Enigmas for $15, I find it equally ridiculous to charge $100 or more for a Normal triple het for Diablo Blanco that has nothing else special about it. Also, what some people call "Sunglows" are just Trempers with a tiny reduction in banding. I've also seen typical, no-frills, unspecial SHTCTBs sell for hundreds more than better animals just due to reputation/name.

I see a lot of people chastise others and maintain this should be done for the love of it and then many of these same people will go on to complain about pricing and matters of money. Quite a bit of hypocrisy, there.

Not you or necessarily anyone in particular. Just a lot of what I see.

As for me, I'm far more bummed by the loss of two of my favorite animals within 24 hours of each other than the market downturn. Sudden deaths. No trauma. No preceding signs of illness. Different feeders. Different enclosures. Different rooms. Never had contact with each other. They were superior breeders as well as pets. These were among the few I promised myself I'd never sell. While I hated seeing Diablo Blancos still going for around $800 last year to drop to a mere $125 this year and watching Novas go from over $1000 (sometimes double this) to under $500 in even less time, I'm far more concerned by matters such as these two deaths. The money is nice if it comes. The pets are nice if it doesn't. Additionally, I hooked up to supply a local pet store with the offspring I do not want to incorporate into my colonies, so that alleviates rack space issues.

On the bright side, this sort of thing gives me the opportunity to do more line improvement/refinement work and a few "under wraps" projects that will be either unique to me or difficult to reproduce (the beauty) quickly.

Excellent post. I am very sorry about your geckos. :( I lost one of my boys today too. His name was Tux and I got him from Alberto in 2005. He was fine yesterday... i didn't even breed him this year. :(

Baoh

Excellent post. I am very sorry about your geckos. :( I lost one of my boys today too. His name was Tux and I got him from Alberto in 2005. He was fine yesterday... i didn't even breed him this year. :(

My condolences on your loss of Tux. Hopefully, we can one day figure out why some of these sudden deaths crop up now and again.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Great post Baoh:main_thumbsup:. The market is not going to stay the same especially with the bad economy. $75 enigmas and $50 het raptors seem reasonable considerin the prices they have been advertized at lately. The shtct are low but they are his to sell and his to decide what he thinks they are worth:main_yes:

I expected no less an answer from you. ;)

By the way, the thread isn't about somebody's loss of an animal! Although I'm sorry it happened, that's completely off-topic. So let's discuss the topic at hand, shall we?

Last edited:

KelliH

I expected no less an answer from you. ;)

By the way, the thread isn't about somebody's loss of an animal! Although I'm sorry it happened, that's completely off-topic. So let's discuss the topic at hand, shall we?

I'll discuss the loss of my animal anywhere I want to on this forum. Now, listen carefully... :D

605074-cartman_super.jpg

Valley Reptiles

I don't think it's a cheap shot. I think it's a valid topic worth discussion. Sorry if it hits close to home for you.
Yep a valid topic but your response to me could have been a little less rude. After all, we are adults arent we?

Anyway, like you said, lets get back on topic:main_thumbsup:

wilomn

No One of Consequence
Sounds like someone's got his knickers knotted because HE isn't getting as much as he thought he would for his babies.

Cry me a river.

It's an open market. Deal with it or move out of it. It's as simple as that.

Visit our friends