a.malandruccolo

I have successfully bred leopard geckos for a few years now and have had a pair of amel fat tailed geckos for about a year now. About 4 months ago I had put the male with the female together in hopes of impregnating her ( they're both at least 20 months of age). Until now she has yet to lay eggs. Her belly had swolen up considerably the past week or so and then suddenly thin as normal again. Searched everywhere and no eggs. I thought I saw eggs in her stomach but couldn't tell for sure as fat tails have thicker underbelly skin that isnt as transparent as leos.

Anyone know what the problem may be? I assume I'd have to seperate them and reintroduce them again. Should I try a cooling period? Have experienced breeders found cooling necessary to successfully reproduce these guys?

My thoughts have been that one of them could be infertile. Hopefully this isn't the case as I payed good money for them because they're difficult to find in Canada at a decent price. Let me know what you guys think.

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
Pat Kline always tells me…….."Aren't Fat Tails fun?!?!?!" ;) It's just what they do. I've had a heck of a time this year getting all mine to breed. I've had some lay 5 clutches and other's lay only 1 dud egg. There's not much you can do about it except keep trying. I'm not experienced with cooling so I can't help you there. I too have had several females look like they were going to lay eggs and then all of a sudden they were gone. I'd separate them and then try it again in a couple weeks if she's still ovulating. Good luck!

cherishedtiger

First time owner of AFTs here and I didnt do any of the special things I was told need to be done to breed them. Heck, I wasnt expecting to even try until next year, but here I sit, with 8 eggs, for a total of I think 6 clutches (2 sets of 2 were duds) in the incubator, going strong... I think Wild West Geckos said it best! :)

a.malandruccolo

hmm.. seems I was fooled. I was emptying the lay box today and saw a white speck nuder an inch of moss.. then removed the moss and saw 2 eggs... I guess she did lay them they were just burried deep within the substrate! thank god.

One has a small dent in it( probably because the hide was too moist) and the other looks rather long as opposed to it's width. They're also attached. My guess is that they're duds. I'll incubate them nonetheless. I'm using hatchrite. My hovabator is the old style and doesnt seem to be heating up much but nonetheless in the 80's. do these take more or less time than leopard gecko eggs? I'm pretty excited, I hope they hatch successfully. Do fat tails lay 2-3 weeks apart as well? I'll update you in a week or so to see if they're fertile!

Visit our friends