fattail cage ?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Even though I know I can get away with keeping small Adults in 6 qt tubs, I just don't. And its not a space thing...Big geckos love to rearrange their tubs, they take big poops, eat bigger crickets, eat more qty. of crickets, which leads to more crickets ending up in water bowls, and tipped over water bowls. All these things lead to a less clean environment, and more cleaning (more frequently) for me to do.

I keep geckos up to 30 grams in Iris Shoeboxes (around 6 qts) with a hide, worm dish (if they eat worms), water dish, and paper towel as substrate. . After that my holdback breeders will go into a 15 qt. bin. There they have a large humidity/lay box, a food dish (if they eat mealworms) and a 2 oz. portion cup with water in a pvc coupling. I use craft paper or newspaper as substrate, but I am thinking of switching over to coconut husk chips (still doing some testing with it). Sometime it takes them sometime to start eating but it is expected.

My geckos that are put up for sale, that are under 45 grams are kept in a shoebox bin, but with no hide. They have news paper and can hide under it if necessary and have a Water bowl in a PVC coupling. These geckos can usually live their whole live here comfortably since they will not breed. Reason I take out the hide is because they just don't use it, they are to big and just end up moving it everywhere, and just end up under the paper anyways.

Now larger geckos that are up for sale or geckos that eat worms (that are for sale) are put in V-18 tubs with a Worms dish (if they eat worms) and a 2 oz portion cup with a PVC coupling. Reason being, in a smaller tub (6 qt.) large geckos will tip over worm dishes, water dishes, then its just a HUGE MESS.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
I mean it’s great to give them a bigger tub, personally I prefer the smaller tubs. I think they are much more secure in them. I have an Amel male that is 80 grams and the 6qt is a little small but he is eating adult male dubias so no need for a dish and he does fine. I mean look at Ball Pythons, I have kept nicely sized adults in 32qts and have bred nicely sized adults in 32qts at work. Although I sort of prefer the CF-750 tubs for balls because they’re easier to clean, a 32 is fine. Same with AFTs, an IRIS 6qt rack is perfect for adult AFTs, sure a V-18 is nice to have but both work. I have been thinking about using the coconut husk chips as well and giving no hide to them unless they are laying females. I mean same concept applies with Balls, they don’t need a hide spot because a rack is essentially one big hide. I mean it’s worth a try. I know when we import hundreds of AFTs at work they are all housed in 6qts, with a 70:30 peat to vermiculite mixture and there is never an issue. In fact when females lay eggs in the boxes, they maintain perfect humidity and can be left for several days. I think we give reptiles way to much credit. They don’t like glass aquariums, as they don’t feel secure in them.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
I have a picture on my facebook page. Please don't push at me to post pictures. I'm pretty busy and don't appriciate the pushiness

Russellm0704

Wasn't tryin to be pushy, just about to build my rack and wanted to see how the spacing looked so I could decide between 6qt and 12, me and someone else requested a pic and you never acknowledged that so I asked again. No big deal

Russellm0704

Just saw the setup, I honestly didn't realize how much space the 6qt iris gives. This will help me a lot this afternoon as I build my rack, last question, what are those water containers and where do you get them?

kkigs

Just saw the setup, I honestly didn't realize how much space the 6qt iris gives. This will help me a lot this afternoon as I build my rack, last question, what are those water containers and where do you get them?

I'm quite sure I pointed out that the IRIS tubs have more floor space... :p

Just playing. I bought one each of the shoe box and men's shoe box a couple of weeks ago just to compare to my Sterilite boxes, and am definitely sold on buying racks built for them from now on. Maybe if you do build a rack, you can show us your geckos in them?! ;)

Visit our friends