Favorite Fish Store Closing

jemjdragon

I am so angry and sad. My favorite privately owned fish store is closing. A store that has been open since 1965. They always had the healthiest fish, and gave the best advice to how to set up different types of tanks and how many fish should be in them and what plants you should use with the set up you have and what to do when your tank has problems. They are also are one of the only places that gets silk worms, which Mift loves.

And to top it all off, they are the only place that has healthy discus, killi fish, nerite snails, a plethora of cory cat types, several types of fresh water shrimp (cherry, bumble bee, amano, etc), and several other fish that you never see in large pet stores or other fish shops. They also have the biggest live plant selection ever and all plants were obtained from family owned aquatic plant nurseries, never gathered from the wild. It is also one of they only places that does not abuse their betta fish, giving them large containers, heat, and filters per fish.

Its because of this store I have a flourishing planted 10 gallon aquarium and am working on my 100 gallon to be completely planted too.

I don't know how a place like this can close down while big chain pet stores stay open and keep abusing animals.

cassicat4

Money...it almost always comes down to money.

I'm sorry for your loss (?). It's extremely frustrating to lose such reputable and valuable sources. It sounds like a great store, and it is incredibly aggravating when places like that close but others who should, don't.

I take it they haven't considered or have chosen not to sell the store to someone else?

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Its because people still go to the chain stores and "rescue" the animals.
Blame the customers.

Ghostoftangerine17

ヒョウモントカゲモドキ
Its because people still go to the chain stores and "rescue" the animals.
Blame the customers.

I think those people are in the minority lol. It's more likely the fault of the average consumer who may find better prices at a chain store because of the lower quality or it may just be that the corporations have gotten their names out so much people naturally check at those stores first.

Very sorry about your situation though :( It's always terrible to lose a store that advocates proper pet care and takes good care of their animals...

Embrace Calamity

I think those people are in the minority lol. It's more likely the fault of the average consumer who may find better prices at a chain store because of the lower quality or it may just be that the corporations have gotten their names out so much people naturally check at those stores first.
This is probably more likely the cause. It's the age-old dilemma of smaller businesses not being able to have as low prices as bigger businesses, and the majority of people will always go for the cheaper product (or, in this case, animal). And if they live in an area with a large pet store, they're more likely to have heard of it than a small one. We have a smaller pet store somewhere in my general area (about an hour away), but we also have the big ones within about an hour, and I don't even remember the name or location of the smaller store. If I were to go buy something from a pet store, I'd probably try to track that place down, but most people wouldn't put that effort into it. Last time I was there, they had some green ameivas that I really wanted. :D

Anyway, to OP, sorry to hear about this. If we had a store like that and it was closing, I'd be sad too.

~Maggot

Visit our friends