Feeding my leopard gecko freeze dried crickets and mealworms??

camcorn

The pet store I am buying my leopard gecko at is feeding it LIVE crickets and mealworms. But my aunt will not allow me to bring live bugs/insects into the house. So I'm wondering if I could just feed it freeze dried crickets/mealworms? or maybe even vegetables and fruit? If so please explain on how to go about this.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Leopard geckos don't eat veggies or fruit. While I have heard from an occasional owner whose leopard gecko would eat freeze dried bugs, nearly all of them won't because they need to see the bug move before they will eat it. THere is a feeding dish that vibrates to make the bugs seem alive, but I wouldn't count on that either. Your best bet is to consider getting a gargoyle gecko or a crested gecko which can live on fruit nectar that you buy as a powder and add water to. Read some care sheets about these geckos and go take a look at one before you buy.

Aliza

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I have moved this post to the feeding section.

Aliza is correct. Most leopard geckos will not eat things that are not moving. Crested geckos will do fine without bugs. Some keepers will say they really do need them, but others will never feed insects to them at all with no problems.

jacobrov

A bit late to respond, but I have the same problem with relatives not being ok with live crickets. I have found that my two love Exo-Terra canned grasshoppers, something about how they smell brings them right out of their hides. I would recommend maybe trying those, you can get them at most big pet supply stores, and they're pretty cheap. Feeding by hand also helps entice them, I've found, maybe because they move around a bit more. Just as a note though, they have to be refrigerated, so be sure your aunt is ok with that. Good luck! :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Visit our friends