Feeding questions

linkj154

I will need to feed my 5 month old leopard gecko repashy grub pie for the winter. The feeder insects from pet stores contain parasites, so I order all my feeders online. They don't survive shipping in the colder months, which is why I am feeding her the grub pie in winter. Do you guys know if I should dust the grub pie with calcium the same way I would an insect? Also how often should I feed juveniles and adults? I see different answers on different websites for the frequency of feeding.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Have you checked to make sure that your gecko likes grub pie? If so, you can contact Repashy to find out about the calcium and D3 (start by looking at ingredients to see if those are included). If you do want to order insects by mail, most places have the option of the package being held at the post office so it's not sitting outside your door all day. Reputable places also ship next day air with a heat pack. You can order a large amount of smaller crickets which will last for several weeks (if you're not doing this already).

Aliza

linkj154

She definitely likes it, she eats it as readily as the dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae I normally feed her. I looked at the ingredients and says it contains d3, a few vitamins, but no calcium, so I will contact repashy to ask about the calcium content. The last time I ordered Dubia roaches earlier this week, they were bought into my house as soon as they were delivered, and also came with a heat pack, but every single one of them was dead anyway due to the cold they were exposed to during transit, so it's a good thing she likes the formula. The only insect that I know of that can survive the cold temperatures is mealworms. Would she be ok eating just mealworms for a few months?

Last edited:

Herpin Man

I will need to feed my 5 month old leopard gecko repashy grub pie for the winter. The feeder insects from pet stores contain parasites, so I order all my feeders online. They don't survive shipping in the colder months, which is why I am feeding her the grub pie in winter. Do you guys know if I should dust the grub pie with calcium the same way I would an insect? Also how often should I feed juveniles and adults? I see different answers on different websites for the frequency of feeding.
Why do you think that feeder insects from pet stores have parasites? That’s a pretty broad statement.
More to the point, why do you think feeder insects bought online are any different from what’s in the pet stores? Pet stores are getting their insects from the same sources that you are.

helfrichj

She definitely likes it, she eats it as readily as the dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae I normally feed her. I looked at the ingredients and says it contains d3, a few vitamins, but no calcium, so I will contact repashy to ask about the calcium content. The last time I ordered Dubia roaches earlier this week, they were bought into my house as soon as they were delivered, and also came with a heat pack, but every single one of them was dead anyway due to the cold they were exposed to during transit, so it's a good thing she likes the formula. The only insect that I know of that can survive the cold temperatures is mealworms. Would she be ok eating just mealworms for a few months?
I feed my leo primarily gut-loaded mealworms and other feeders I get from my LFS. Never had an issue with parasites or from feeding primarily mealworms.

Visit our friends