Feeding tips please!

Cas1302

Hi, I have a 6 week leopard gecko. He is eating well however I find feeding crickets takes ages as he doesn’t seem to ‘hunt’ them yet so unless they are right in front of him he doesn’t seem to see them!
Should I perhaps move him to a smaller tank for feeding to make them easier for him to see? He is in a full size tank.
he’s still getting used to his new home I’m assuming this will change as he gets older?
I see some people saying they put more than 1 cricket in at a time & leave for half hour max & then remove - so far I have only ever put 1 in at a time & if he’s walked past it a few times I remove it within about 5 mins as paranoid incase it bites him! Is this where i am going wrong maybe?
Last question - should I remove his hides for feeding as he rarely comes out during the day but defo dies at night as eats mealworms

Thanks in advance

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are 2 articles I wrote about dealing with geckos that seem to have feeding problems:

Aliza

Cas1302

Here are 2 articles I wrote about dealing with geckos that seem to have feeding problems:

Aliza
Hi
Thanks for reply however he doesn’t have eating problems! He eats fine, approx 10 mealworms & 5/6 crickets everyday.

I was just looking for any feeding tips to help him start to hunt better

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have found that leopard geckos are incredibly lazy sometimes. You could try the "you'll eat when you get really hungry" routine, otherwise, I guess the gecko has you well trained!

Alia

redfox42

I had great success with Dubia Roaches (aka Spotted Roaches). So much easier to keep. I feed them on Bug Burger, they are in a separate tank. And I put 3 or 4 in a little bowl (it slows but doesn't stop them getting away) every other day. They make no noise, don't smell, and I don't think they will bite the Gecko either, so you can just leave them in there.

Visit our friends