Feeling pretty angry tonight.

KatieG

Ok. So i bought my little carrot tailed gecko on March 25th. On the tank it said baby and the girl in the store couldn't tell me much about him because she was new. I've got 2 other reptiles from them and both are happy and healthy. Through the past few weeks thinking i had a baby gecko (because the tank said baby and hes so small) i have been making sure to do everything right. I have him time to settle in and made him comfortable. I noticed he really hasnt been eating like a baby should so i took him to the vet and a fecal was done. He came back clear and they told me hes just settling in. So i backed off. Still hed only eat one bug if that every time i offered. I seen him get water but he wouldnt eat. So i started giving him repta boost. For the last 3 days. Today i reached out to the pet store and asked if they'd had any issues with there other reps. The lady told me that i am actually the 2nd owner of george and hes roughly a year old!! My guy weighs 22.5 grams!! He dont look sickly. He just hangs out in his warm hide and climbs around in his tank and never eats. I had them reach out to the previous owner and ask if she had issues with him. She actually told them hed been loosing weight when she gave him up to them. She never had him checked out just gave him up!! Not only did she endanger the reps in the store but ive got a african fat tailed gecko at home and scary things can spread and infect him. Thankfully i know to quarantine and not share things from enclosure to enclosure. I have to wait to make another vet appointment on monday but i am so stressed out. Ive been reading and researching crypto (stick tail) i am so angry someone would put other animals at risk and or not tell the ladies taking him in that there could be an issue. I took him home because i knew the pet store knew nothing about geckos and his husbandry was all wrong and he looked so sad every time i seen him. Im glad it was me that got him honestly but i feel so helpless. Anyway. Im sorry for this rant. I had to get it out. I guess i should of paid attention when people say to check out where your animal comes from and dont trust pet stores. 20220328_185416~2.jpg 20220328_185416~2.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm sorry you had to go through that. If you do take him to the vet again, have them check him for crypto. It's a different test that can be done with a vent swab so you don't need a fecal. There's no cure for crypto, but there are some medications that reduce the symptoms. How do I know this? My geckos have been crypto positive for the last 5 years. Some have died, but the ones I have at the moment are, with one exception, healthy and doing well. One if 18 years old.

Aliza

KatieG

Thank you!!! That makes me feel a little more hopeful. Thats exactly what were doing this morning. Im praying my little guy will be ok.

KatieG

I'm sorry you had to go through that. If you do take him to the vet again, have them check him for crypto. It's a different test that can be done with a vent swab so you don't need a fecal. There's no cure for crypto, but there are some medications that reduce the symptoms. How do I know this? My geckos have been crypto positive for the last 5 years. Some have died, but the ones I have at the moment are, with one exception, healthy and doing well. One if 18 years old.

Aliza
How do you put weight back on them?

KatieG

Found out my little dude has coccidia. Anyone have experience with this? If so are there any tips to help him recover?

edgwsyg

Mr.
KatieG, sorry about your gecko. I'm not a vet, but I have 2 leopard geckos, age 11 and 9 years old, purchased from a private pet store (now unfortunately out of business) and a pet store chain. My first two leopard geckos came from the same chain store and shortly after we bought them they stopped eating, We returned the first one, and after the second one stopped eating we took him to a vet, paid $100 for a consult, the vet gave him some meds, and the gecko died 2 weeks later.

Things to try: 1: Did the vet prescribe meds for the coccidia? Follow the vet's recommendation first.
2: fresh live waxworms, shaken in repashy calciumplus powder (or a powdered reptile calcium supplement). Often lizards that will not eat anything else will eat live waxworms. Healthy lizards will gorge on them. Waxworms are mostly fat and are good for getting thin lizards to put on weight.
3: a warm water bath, keep water below the lizard's head. The warm water can stimulate a lizard that is off its food. Dry your lizard thoroughly afterwards.
4. Rept-aid: I've used this diet supplement and I think it works. A drop on your lizard's snout and they will lick it off. For your guy, maybe use two drops.
5. Forced feeding; I haven't been able to get lizards to do this, but Ron Tremper discusses it in his books. Finger tap on the mouth or eye to get the lizard to open his mouth, and then insert a bug or worm.

One dark side of the pet industry: baby lizards have a high mortality rate. My first two baby lizards stopped eating, and died on me. my next two lizards, a 6 month old leopard and then a hatching, are now 11 and 9 years old. They will run to the side of the tank for food. If your lizard doesn't make it, don't beat yourself up over it. Healthy lizards don't have to be forced to eat. Good luck.

edgwsyg

Mr.
KatieG, sorry about your gecko. I'm not a vet, but I have 2 leopard geckos, age 11 and 9 years old, purchased from a private pet store (now unfortunately out of business) and a pet store chain. My first two leopard geckos came from the same chain store and shortly after we bought them they stopped eating, We returned the first one, and after the second one stopped eating we took him to a vet, paid $100 for a consult, the vet gave him some meds, and the gecko died 2 weeks later.

Things to try: 1: Did the vet prescribe meds for the coccidia? Follow the vet's recommendation first.
2: fresh live waxworms, shaken in repashy calciumplus powder (or a powdered reptile calcium supplement). Often lizards that will not eat anything else will eat live waxworms. Healthy lizards will gorge on them. Waxworms are mostly fat and are good for getting thin lizards to put on weight.
3: a warm water bath, keep water below the lizard's head. The warm water can stimulate a lizard that is off its food. Dry your lizard thoroughly afterwards.
4. Rept-aid: I've used this diet supplement and I think it works. A drop on your lizard's snout and they will lick it off. For your guy, maybe use two drops.
5. Forced feeding; I haven't been able to get lizards to do this, but Ron Tremper discusses it in his books. Finger tap on the mouth or eye to get the lizard to open his mouth, and then insert a bug or worm.

One dark side of the pet industry: baby lizards have a high mortality rate. My first two baby lizards stopped eating, and died on me. my next two lizards, a 6 month old leopard and then a hatching, are now 11 and 9 years old. They will run to the side of the tank for food. If your lizard doesn't make it, don't beat yourself up over it. Healthy lizards don't have to be forced to eat. Good luck.
Rept-aid every day until your lizard doesn't need it anymore. Some people will give it once a month as a preventative.

KatieG

Yes they put him on meds. Hes actually seemingly doing better every day. Hes got solid stool and is staying in his basking area a little more. His tail and back legs are looking healthier as well. Today was our third round of meds but he's gotten way easier to give it to. Hes been drinking from his water bowl again but im going to do the bath thing this evening. It makes me so mad and sad that he was left to be sick this long. He was sold to marked as a baby and hes actually a year old. I live in rural wv so its not easy to get my hands on the things he needs but i got it all. I think. I do have wax worms and repashy calcium + so im going to offer them tonight. Id much rather him eat on his own than me force feeding him but i do until then because i cant let his tiny body just wither on him. I really see progress already so i hope and pray that he's going to pull through. I think he will.
Thank you for your advice. Im not new to reptiles but new to geckos so i welcome any help and appreciate it so much.

KatieG

Thank you! He seems to be doing better. Hes gained another gram and a half. (I weigh him every few days right now) and is basking more. I am still feeding him the carnivore critical care because hes still not eating on his own but im hoping after the meds are done he will.

KatieG

He seems to be doing better. Hes eating on his own now and slowly gaining some weight back. Its going to be a long slow road back to healthy but were on it doing all I can to help him.

KatieG

I am certainty trying. He's getting his appetite back and is hunting again. I get so excited with every accomplishment. I just want him happy and healthy.

KatieG

That really hurt my heart. I tried so hard for months to help him get back to healthy. It was just not enough. He was just starting to trust me. Smh.... My poor little George.

Visit our friends