Female Leo Gecko Not Eating

daish16

I have a male and female leopard gecko, I got the male back in July/August and the female in September, and everything was going great. As of a little under a month ago the female was suffering from a stuck shed and not eating and not really moving. I took her to the local animal ER and they said she was suffering from husbandry, so i took her home and starting to switch up the tank and do everything the vet suggested. But when I came home from work the next day she was stuck in the plant and was squishy and refused to move. I have tried soaking her, keeping food in the tank at all times and I even got the heat up more and tried handling her more than usual. But she has now lost all of the fatty weight from her tail and has lost an extreme amounts of weight and all of this while the male gecko is doing great. What am I doing wrong? I feel as if she is passing away and it is breaking my heart and I hate to watch her in pain like this but I am at a lost.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you know whether the person who saw her at the ER was a reptile vet or not? I recommend you make an appointment to take her to the vet and be sure to get her tested for regular parasites as well as crypto. If your male is doing well, it may not be a husbandry issue. She also may have had a health problem when you get her that's just showing up now. If for some reason she passes before the appointment (and I hope she doesn't) arrange to bring her in right away for an autopsy. This happened to my bearded dragon who passed the day he was supposed to go to the vet. I brought in the body because I needed to know why he passed, especially if it was anything contagious. I discovered he had a relatively rare disease for reptiles (listeriosis) but I was able to rule out some serious bearded dragon diseases which would have been a problem if I'd gotten another beardie.

Aliza

Visit our friends