Female leopard gecko behavior question

Scoobert

About a week or two ago my female leo stopped eating crickets and seems to want to get out of her cage any chance she can get. I read in an article that they can fast during ovulation and I wanted to know if this is true and what I can do to help her eat she has dropped a little weight but its not a dangerous amount. I keep her cage really close to my male leo so maybe that has something to do with it?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Females often don't eat so much when they're ovulating. It's not usually the female that gets excited about the male, it's the other way around. Keep offering and try not to worry. There's really nothing else you can do.

Aliza

Scoobert

Females often don't eat so much when they're ovulating. It's not usually the female that gets excited about the male, it's the other way around. Keep offering and try not to worry. There's really nothing else you can do.

Aliza
So I know it has been over a month but to give an update, She still hasn't eaten and her weight has dropped considerably I'm going to take her to the vet soon. I noticed the male trying to get out of his cage at night as well and he's seemed to drop weight a little and doesn't actively hunt anymore. I am going to try and offer as many different food sources as I can but neither of them seem interested in crickets. I turned up their heat mats a few degrees to about 91 average temp but they've had the same set up with no changes for months and actively hunted when I would put in crickets. Is there any recommendations at all? The only thing I can think of is that since their heat mats are on the sides of the aquarium maybe they can't get enough heat but it didn't seem to affect them before.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In general it's better to have the heat on the bottom. I think the vet idea at this point is the best bet.
'
Aliza

Visit our friends