Female Leopard Gecko Losing Weight

Swaqqums

I posted something about this before but a female I was hoping to breed just hasn't been eating and I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to breed her this season. She has went from around 55 grams when I first got her probably near December to around 38 grams here in late March. I have tried offering and got her too eat a little. Should I be concerned?

Swaqqums

She has eaten probably around 15 or less mealworms over the span of around 3 months. She seems to be healthy thought and walks with her belly above the ground fine. Also I don't know if this has anything to do with it but she sheds about every 2 weeks which is not something I see from a fully grown female gecko and basically always there is stuck shed. Once again I don't know if this means anything.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
How long have you had her and where did you get her from? Is there any way you can take her to a vet?

Aliza

Swaqqums

I have had her for about 4 months and I got her from Geckos etc. which I have gotten geckos from in the past and there a few problems and I know they are really reputable which has me really scratching my head. Any ideas of what happened?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Have you tried some different feeders? When I was breeding geckos I fed my hatchlings mealworms. I sold one to someone who called me several times and said the gecko wasn't eating. Eventually I suggested he try some crickets and the gecko went nuts over them. I'm not saying that will work for your gecko but it's easy enough to try if you haven't already.

Aliza

Swaqqums

I have tried Dubia roaches before with no luck. I can go down to to the pet store tomorrow and give it a shot. If this doesn't work would you recommend a vet?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It never hurts to contact a reptile vet when there are visible symptoms and no suggestions are working.

Aliza

Visit our friends