Female Leopard Gecko with Possible Mild Impaction?

Cherry02

About your leo:
- Sex - Female
- Age & Weight - about 12/13 yrs, I don't know weight
- How long have you owned your leo - A couple of months
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) - Adopted from someone who had her for 10 years and couldn't keep her anymore

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo - Every few days
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. - A little bit different, just a bit quieter than usual
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. - Nothing that I know of.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) - Normally large, kind of wet, now small and dry
- When was the last time he/she went - Last night
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on - I took her out two days ago and she was really lethargic. Normally she loves to run around and climb, but she was just laying on me and moving very slowly instead. I checked her belly but it looked normal .I held her for about half an hour and she seemed to get better, so I left her alone till the next day when I gave her a bath. She was pretty much back to normal after her bath, and she did poop last night, but it was very small and dry. I gave her another bath today, and part of her intestines were pretty dark when I checked her belly. She was alternating between running like mad and laying down when I held her after her bath as well.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size - 18" by 18"
- Type (ex. glass tank) - glass terrarium
- Type of substrate - sand with a moss corner
- Hides, how many, what kind - One medium sized dry hide
B) Heating
- Heat source - Heat lamp and heated rock
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) - I don't know the temps at the moment, but they feel about right to the touch
- Method of regulating heat source - I just keep both the lamp and rock on at the same time - the lamp is a bit high up and it doesn't heat the tank much
- What are you using to measure your temps - I usually use just a normal stick thermometer
- Do you have any lights (describe) - One regular red heat lamp
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) - None
- Describe health, or previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) - Usually 3 medium/ large crickets every two days
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) - I put the crickets in a plastic bag with some vitamin powder, just to dust them, and let them out one at a time in front of her so she can eat them right away
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands) - Exo Terra Multivitamin powder
- What are you gut loading food with - Carrots, oats, and cricket gel

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You could try giving her one drop of olive or mineral oil (put it on her nose so she can lick it off) and then see how the poops look. Other than that and another bath, if it's still a problem, consider a reptile vet visit. It's always hard to know what constitutes a problem vs. a temporary change in behavior.

Aliza

Cherry02

I will definitely try the oil, and I will be giving her a bath every day until she poops normally. I was mainly worried about the dark spot on her belly - I really hope she gets better soon!

Visit our friends